Bathroom Extraction fan wiring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just purchased an xpelair dx100hta extraction fan which has a humidistand and timer and need a bit of advice wiring it up.

The old fan was a basic fan which was wired up to the lighting circuits and would come on and switch off with the bath. On removing the fan it has the following connections:
Permanent live connected to yellow from the lighting circuit
Neutral supply in connected to blue from the lighting circuit
There was a third red wire coming in from the lighting circuit but that wasn't connected to anything. (Not sure what this is)

The new fan has the following connections:
L
N
T
The wiring diagram isn't very clear but from what I can gather
I'm guessing that I connect the live and neutral as before?.

I'm not familiar with the T terminal though. Assuming this stands for timer do I just connect the previously unused red wire coming in from the circuit to this terminal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
T should be the switched live from the light i.e. the one that's live only when the light is switched on.

... and would come on and switch off with the bath.
Could you clarify that - do you perhaps mean '....with the light'? If so, despite what you say, it could not have previously been connected to a 'permanent live' - otherwise it would have been permanently on (the clue is in the word!) - it must have been a 'switched live' from the light.

Kind Regards, John

The old fan was a basic fan which was wired up to the lighting circuits and would come on and switch off with the bath.
That's clever.

The new fan has the following connections:
L
N
T
L - Red - Must be connected to permanent Live at the other end if not already.
N - Blue
T - Yellow (for Timer.

Sponsored Links
The old fan ... would come on and switch off with the bath.
What does that mean?

On removing the fan it has the following connections:
Permanent live connected to yellow from the lighting circuit
If it only had a permanent live, how did you stop and start it?

I'm not familiar with the T terminal though. Assuming this stands for timer do I just connect the previously unused red wire coming in from the circuit to this terminal?
ItsAnybodysGuess.jpg

And electrics-by-guesswork is a Bad Idea.

You need to find out what that red is.

The old fan was a basic fan which was wired up to the lighting circuits and would come on and switch off with the bath.

Hahah apologies for that shocking typo! :oops:

it should have said bathroom light.

Sorry. :)

The yellow appears to be the Switched Live which is only Live when the lamp is ON

When fan has a run on timer it needs Switched Live to tell the timer to start and Permanent Live to supply the fan after the lamp has been turned OFF and Switched Live is no longer Live

Most probably the red is Permanent Live but that depends if the connection has been made at the other end of the cable ( in the ceiling rose )

So connect Red to the L terminal and Yellow to the T terminal.

The yellow appears to be the Switched Live which is only Live when the lamp is ON

When fan has a run on timer it needs Switched Live to tell the timer to start and Permanent Live to supply the fan after the lamp has been turned OFF and Switched Live is no longer Live

Most probably the red is Permanent Live but that depends if the connection has been made at the other end of the cable ( in the ceiling rose )

So connect Red to the L terminal and Yellow to the T terminal.

Thanks Mr green for the explanation.
The labelling inside the old fan was a bit misleading which led to my initial confusion but this now makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back