bathroom extractor fan help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My bathroom fan is giving me grief! The fan is linked to the light switch and comes on when you switch the light on. However, when you turn the light off the fan stays on. The fan does have a separate switch too that turns it off but it would be great if the timer worked properly...

I believe the fan could be wired up incorrectly, but having taken the fan cover off have no idea if it's right or not. There is a connection block with 3 wires from the wall (red, blue and yellow) going to 4 wires to the fan circuit (red, brown, white and blue).

The letters T, L and N are beside the block:

T yellow wire from wall connected to red wire to fan
L red wire from wall going to brown and white wire to fan
N blue wire from wall going to blue wire to fan circuit

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a timer fan.

If so then it should stay on for a pre-set amount of time after the light has been switched off to extract steam and unpleasant odours etc.

Does it not switch 10-20 minutes or so after the light has been switched off?

That seems to be wired up OK, hard to tell without seeing a photo.

It is a timer fan - does the fan turn off after a while when you turn off the light? You may need to wait up to 20 minutes so be patient!

EDIT Curses, too slow.

wow thanks for the quick reply! Glad the wiring sounds OK, it has stayed on for hours before but I will time it properly now and post again...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back