Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I decided to replace my timer extractor fan as the old one has never worked since moving in!

Just need a little guidance if possible? Four wires from ceiling (Red, Blue, Yellow and green/yellow) I have tried wiring the new timer fan as below:

L = Red
N = Blue
L1 = Yellow

When I switch on bathroom light the light comes on but no fan? Is the wiring correct or have I been a right one and wired it wrong! :eek:

Cheers all and have a great day!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have mention the cable coming from the roof is a 3-core and earth if that helps?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have yellow as permanent live, which should be sleeved with red/brown, If the same cable appears at the switch you can connect this to the incoming live at the switch.

Hi Wingcoax

Thank you for your reply. The yellow wire has a small bit of red tape on it...

Should the yellow be connected to L and the red wire connected to L1 and ultimately the blue into N?

Sorry if this is basic stuff but its all new to me!

Cheers!

Blue into neutral, check in the switch which wire is the switched live, it could be the red or yellow. If you can post a photo it will make life a lot easier.

Sorry! not thinking properly, been a long day. Connect red to L1 and yellow to L. If the fan runs without switching the light on then swap the two round.

I decided to replace my timer extractor fan as the old one has never worked since moving in!
When I switch on bathroom light the light comes on but no fan?
You have checked, I trust, that electricity is reaching the end of the fan cable?

You say that the old one has never worked - it would only have taken a minute to check the voltage at it to see if it really was broken....

Sorry, should have mention the cable coming from the roof is a 3-core and earth if that helps?
Where does the other end of it go?

Hi

Thanks so much for your replies. I connected red to L, Blue to N and Yellow to L1. Fan comes on when light is switched and goes off 5 mins after light is switched off (via timer)

Thanks again!

Give him the benefit B A S He could have had a dodgy connection, its easy in those small terminals :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back