bathroom fan without timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new extractor fan in my bathroom the old one was old and noisy

the bathroom has a fan isolator switch outside of the bathroom on the wall

the only problem I can see is my old one has a timer and my new one hasn't, there are 3 wires on my old one(red, yellow/green, blue) I'm guessing that the red is the live feed, the blue is the neutral and the yellow/green is something to do with the timer maybe a switched live?

so I think all I need to do is just connect up the permanent live(red) and the neutral and the fan should come on when the lights in the bathroom is turned on? and tape up the yellow/green wire

can someone confirm this please

Sponsored Links
Yellow and Green should only be used as a circuit protective conductor therefore it is connected to earth!
Red will be live and blue neutral(well that's what you would expect them to be).

Please be careful, if som idiot has used the cpc as a switched live !

KA

Red and Blue together says to me pre-harmonised 3C+E so maybe the G/Y is actually just Yellow?

Sponsored Links
Red and Blue together says to me pre-harmonised 3C+E so maybe the G/Y is actually just Yellow?
That's a fair point, its possible that the green/yellow is yellow or possible that the yellow has been cut back.
I think a little more investigation is required by the OP!

Or as I found in my parents loft, yellow connected to the CPC at one end with the CPC cut back, and the other end, CPC connected and yellow cut back :evil:

Pictures please OP

thanks for all the replys chaps

I've just had another look at the connector block that the wires go into on the old extractor fan and are labelled as follows

L = red
N = blue
SL = yellow

I thought the switch live was yellow/green but actually it's a plain yellow so everything should be straight forward to wire in now, I take it the switch live is not needed and all I need to do is tape it up and tuck it out the way?

Why did you purchase one without a timer? It maybe possible that you are now introducing a moisture/condensation issue into the bathroom.

, I take it the switch live is not needed and all I need to do is tape it up and tuck it out the way?

You'd be wrong there. If your fan is a non-timer one then you need blue for neutral and yellow as the switched live. The red is a permanent live and you do not need that. Put the end in a bit of insulated terminal block (aka choc block) and tuck it out of the way inside the fan housing.

, I take it the switch live is not needed and all I need to do is tape it up and tuck it out the way?

You'd be wrong there. If your fan is a non-timer one then you need blue for neutral and yellow as the switched live. The red is a permanent live and you do not need that. Put the end in a bit of insulated terminal block (aka choc block) and tuck it out of the way inside the fan housing.

cheers thanks will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back