Wiring a bathroom light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've purchased a new bathroom light fitting and I'm struggling to get it to work.

The circuit also includes an extractor fan which comes on with the light. There are two switched live cables (one yellow, one black) which I've wired to the live terminal of the new fitting. Three neutral (two black, one blue) wired to the neutral terminal. One earth (which I've connected to the earth terminal!) and four red live cables which I've blanked off together.

Why doesn't it work!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like you've attempted to replace a ceiling rose on a loop-in lighting circuit with a light fitting that doesnt have any facility for wiring up the loop.

What do you mean by "blanked off together"?

The circuit also includes an extractor fan which comes on with the light. There are two switched live cables (one yellow, one black) which I've wired to the live terminal of the new fitting. Three neutral (two black, one blue) wired to the neutral terminal. One earth (which I've connected to the earth terminal!) and four red live cables which I've blanked off together.
You sound like you have some cores missing?

One red will be loop in. One red will be loop out. One will be the live feed to the switch. One will be the live feed to the fan.

One black at the ceiling rose will be the switched live returning from the switch. This should be terminated with the yellow, to provide a switched live to the fan.

The blue would normally be connected to the black neutrals at the ceiling rose and run to the fan to provide a neutral.

And where are all the earth cores?

Have a look here.

I think you need to add a photo. ;)

Edit: to make a little more sense hopefully

Sponsored Links
he mentions the three neutral wires.

you should have 4 earth wires, unless they have all been twisted together with one single earth sleeve over them.

your wiring sounds correct.

The blue would normally be connected to the two black neutrals at the ceiling rose (you don't mention these at all - where are they?) and run to the fan to provide a neutral.

he does mention them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back