Fitting a bathroom with timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Just after a bit of friendly advice :)

Brought a bathroom fan with a timer. I also have a 3 amp FCU (required by manufacturers instuctions and DP fan isolator switch. I plan to have the fan turn on with the lightswitch.

Whats the best way to wire this up to the existing lighting circuit?

My original intention, was to take the live, neutral and earth from the junction box in the loft to the fcu and then to the DP isolator, as follows:

>Earth from FCU to Fan

>Live from FCU to L1 of DP Isolator, then L1 of DP isolator to fan( becoming Live perm)

>Neutral from FCU to N of DP Isolator, then N From DP isolator to fan

>L2 of bathroom lightswitch to L2 DP Isolator, then L2 from DP isolator to fan(becoming switched live)

Any advice appreciated, no sarcy comments please. I am purely after advice, not negative comments.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
With the components you have what I would do is.

Mark, photo, take notes of wires at the light.

Remove wires from light and fit to junction box in loft.

Fit fuse unit in between junction box and light.
Locate it on the landing.

Buy 3 pole isolator and fit in bathroom.
Wire between light and fan with 3 core and earth cable.

Something like that.

Do a search. Been discussed many times.

2 ways of doing it basically, although one without the fuse which is rarely fitted.

Sponsored Links
OOI, do you really need the fan to start up every single time someone goes into the bathroom, no matter why?

Agree with BAS, could be annoying going for a quick wizz in the night, and the fan starts up.

Your first plan was better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back