Bathroom Fan Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a ceiling mounted fan in the bathroom however I'm not sure where is best to put the vent. The main purpose of the fan is to clear steam from the shower.

I've drawn a rough sketch of the layout of the room.

Attachments

• Bathroom Layout.PNG
    Bathroom Layout.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
In the ceiling above the shower, which has the added advantage of being furthest from the door. Replacement air will enter through the gap under the door. Keep the window shut or it will interfere with airflow.

You can get really good ducted inline fans to fit in the loft above the ceiling, which are more powerful and quieter than most ordinary fans. A steamy shower needs quite a powerful extractor, and the 80 cu.m/hr cheap fans are not sufficient.

As it is above the bath, it needs to be fitted above the ceiling; unless it is 2250mm or more above the floor level, or an unusually high IP rating of water resistance.

https://electrical.theiet.org/wirin...on-701-locations-containing-a-bath-or-shower/

There are quite a few incorrect diagrams of bathroom zones, the worst seem to be by people who sell bathroom lights or bathrooms.

I've bought a Vent Axia ACM100T which has an air flow of 240m3 and will be positioned in the loft above the bathroom.

So if I mount the vent central to the bath width and roughly the same distance from the back wall i.e. roughly where I've drawn?

I tend to leave the window partially open on the night vent so as to have a small amount of air flow all the time. Is that likely to pose an issue with the fan where you've suggested?

Attachments

• Bathroom Layout.PNG
    Bathroom Layout.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 68
Put the sucker hole above the shower.

An open window will interfere with the correct airflow of the fan.

Sponsored Links
Three houses, my house had a problem with steam and mould, no fan, mothers bathroom never had a problem with mould or steam but it was a wet room, fan installed but never used, new house fan does not work, but no mould build up or steam problem, so I sat back and wondered why, then it hit me, the gap under the shower panel, the house with a problem shower in the bath so the glass door has no seal at bottom, so run shower and the chimney effect means water vapour is circulated around the room, but mothers house no glass panel and new house panel seals at bottom so no circulation.

Fan on after the shower clears the room, fan on during the shower can pull the moisture into the room when without it the water would go down the drain. It will depend on room design and shower panel design, and size of shower area, always intended to fit curtain in mothers shower after she died but never got around to it, she was in a wheel chair so curtains would have got in the way, shower tray well whole of floor was heated, but rarely turned on. But after a shower always mopped the floor, use of anti slip mats and the like retains the water, as do carpets.

But main thing is to keep water where the tray and drain is, don't suck it into rest of room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back