bathroom fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a fan into a bathroom with a 'power shower', which produces a hell of a lot of steam.
The bathroom is approx 10 feet X 6 feet X 7 feet. The fan was a Manrose 4 inch inline fan with timer.
Some observations:

the fan does not adequately extract the steam.
there is an obvious backdraft. (no backdraft shutter fitted)
there is a condensation problem. (no condensation trap)

As stated, the steam of the shower is plentiful, but i would have thought the 4 inch fan would have done the room.

So should i...

1/Fit a 5 inch inline fan?

or

2/Remove more of the bottom of the bathroom door to allow greater through flow (presently only about 4mm after the tiles went down)?
3/Fit the condensation trap/backdraft shutter?
4/Stop wearing my wifes clothes to work?

Seriously though, need advice with this one!

thanks

Sponsored Links
mackeral said:
So should i...

1/Fit a 5 inch inline fan?
I've just fitted a 6" fan to a 10-11m³ bathroom - it helps a bit, but doesn't completely remove steam

2/Remove more of the bottom of the bathroom door to allow greater through flow (presently only about 4mm after the tiles went down)?
3/Fit the condensation trap/backdraft shutter?
Take cold showers with the door and window open

4/Stop wearing my wifes clothes to work?
Yes, apart from the underwear.

Sorry - no idea, I'm still thinking about your wife's underwear. (But not you in it
eek.gif
)

Sponsored Links
On a more serious note, I think you should fit it in as tight as it will go, as it will get rid of all the moisture that collects when is turned on.

No, I'm not talking about THAT, but the condescension trap.

If you have a vertical duct, they are a must.

Mackeral,
I am about to fit a 5 inch fan with timer in my bathroom. Did you have to create the hole through the wall? If so, did you use a core drill or drill many holes with a masonary bit and then knock out?
Anyone else have an opinion on whether its worth the money to hire the core drill over the hassle of drilling 101 holes through double brick skin wall :cry: ......whilst standing on a ladder 25 feet up at that :eek:

I had a similar problem and stuck a ventilation grille above the door - that helped a lot. Adjusted the timer so the fan for about six minutes after shower off. That seems to more or less solve the problem.
Hole in the external wall was easy for me - victorian bricks in a non-cavity wall are a lot easier to get through - but I wouldn't have been happy handling an unfamiliar tool that high up anyway.
PJ

Dustyy said:
Mackeral,
I am about to fit a 5 inch fan with timer in my bathroom. Did you have to create the hole through the wall? If so, did you use a core drill or drill many holes with a masonary bit and then knock out?
Anyone else have an opinion on whether its worth the money to hire the core drill over the hassle of drilling 101 holes through double brick skin wall :cry: ......whilst standing on a ladder 25 feet up at that :eek:
I put mine where there was already an airbrick and ventilator. Since I didn't fit any shutters I've still got trickle ventilation when the fan is off.

As for core drilling - I'd suggest you do it from the inside rather than 25' up a ladder.....

I was a bit concerned about getting dust everywhere in an angle grinder sty-lee, but I suppose I should be a bit more concerned about falling off a ladder with a spinning core drill :)
Gaffer tape up the bathroom door it is then! Wonder if the wife will hold my vacuum nozzle for me.......

[. Did you have to create the hole through the wall? If so, did you use a core drill or drill many holes with a masonary bit and then knock out?

Didnt drill the wall. The fan grill was in the ceiling and ducted to the soffit.

my observations are this: (we have similar problem)

one fan = room full of steam
installed 2nd indentical fan in same ducting = less steam

leave bathroom door ajar, no steam

my conclusion

fan is too small to suck all air out of room, by having door ajar (or vent in door) allows more air into room. negative pressure of fan combined with air from vent works

Same situation - fan not doing the job fully.
Tried experiment (several times), outside temp -1°C bathroom window / wall N/W facing.
Extract fan off. A house female did a quick, hot, 25 Minute shower, window top light ajar, central heating on, inside Temp 80° C -- window and wall streaming !!
Placed 16in fan outside bathroom, door open, window upper light about 1/4 open, fan aimed toward ceiling / wall corner above window -- fan on full blast --- 7 mins wall and window dry as bone no sense of extra chill etc.
I am thinking force pressuring the room with window open may be more efficient than extraction -- Not by any means suggesting my 'fan by the door' as an answer but a means of pressurising the bathroom slightly with a decent circulating flow of air shifting the pockets of moisture laden stuff and ejecting through window.
Just peeved with steamy bathroom. ... Only from the nesting females I may add.
P

Yeah, bloody nuisance. And dont know if a bigger fan will do the job. I still think the main problem is the lack of space below the door...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back