Bathroom fan switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Hoping for some advise, I have just purchased a 12 year old appartment and am going through the stages of decorating.

One thing I would like to do is replace the extractor fan switch (located outside of the bathroom) with a new one. Reason being is its looking quite old and is a yellowing colour, just a bit of an eye sore.

The switch is connected to the lighting as it goes on/off with the light switch. Is this a easy job to do a straight swap with a newer clean white version?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a three pole isolator

fan-switch-3-pole.jpg

or just a normal switch for operation.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will take a photo and post tomorrow (I work evenings)

I bet it dont have a fuse spur?

Even with a 3 pole switch you should still have a 3amp fuse in a fuse spur.

Sponsored Links
I bet it dont have a fuse spur? Even with a 3 pole switch you should still have a 3amp fuse in a fuse spur.
.... IF the manufacturer of the fan says so (at least for the next few months) - but do you really believe that, in practice, a 3A fuse affords significantly more protection than a 5A fuse or 6A MCB?

Kind Regards, John

I know, but say a fault arise on the fan, whould the 3amp blow 1st or the mcb trip?
And would you think its for the manufacturer to cover there back incase of a fire ect

I know, but say a fault arise on the fan, whould the 3amp blow 1st or the mcb trip?
More-or-less pot luck, I would say - but I would suspect that it would probably more often be the 6A MCB which operated first. Like many others, I've quite often seen a 32A MCB trip without a 13A fuse in a plug or FCU in the fault path blowing.
And would you think its for the manufacturer to cover there back incase of a fire ect
Fuses/MCBs in the installation should really only be there to protect the installation's fixed wiring. If the fan manufacturer feels that the innards of their fan require more protection than the installation's OPDs will provide, they should really provide internal protection within their product. ... but, anyway, again, the chances of a 3A fuse preventing a fire which a 5A MCB would not prevent are, IMO, minimal - as I said, it's quite possible that the MCB would trip before the fuse blew, anyway!

Kind Regards, John

I always think it's there to give the maker a way to weasel¹ out of any warranty claims.

¹ Other Mustela are available

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
many thanks, I have ordered 2 of the first link as they look like a identical straight swap.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back