Bathroom fan with seperate pullcord.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a bathroom extractor fan with a timer installed in my house.
It is wired directly from the light fitting as follows,

Brown is connected to Loop, Grey to Neutral, Black to the switched live, and the Earth connected to Earth.

How would I wire it if I wanted to install a seperate pull cord so the fan would turn on/off independently of the light? Any suggestions?
Also there isnt a 3 pole isolator for maintenance. Does there have to be one, is it not reasonable to use the mcb for such purposes?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
no, but the sparks are at work, just give it time and someone helpfull will come along. Im was never a fan of the whole on with the light thing either, but JohnD will be along to tell you thats whats best as otherwise the fan doesnt get used as often as it should. -ive always thought yeah but what about in summer but i guess in summer the damp doesnt build up like in winter. bathroom fan with a PIR -now theres an idea!

sm1thson nearly said:
... just give it time and someone helpfull will come along. Or if not JohnD will be along!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So the light way is the best way.
How about the 3 pole isolator, needed or mcb will suffice

thanks

As it is not on a timer, you only need a 2-pole switch. This is to enable you to safely isolate the fan for servicing or cleaning. If you find you can put it outside the bathroom, above the door, that is quite a good place to put it.

You can use a 3-pole switch if you like, especially if you think you might fit a fan with timer later.

(the reason I prefer the fan coming on every time you put the light on, is that otherwise, people get into the habit of not turning the fan on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back