Bathroom flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am doing up my bathroom and have removed the tiled floor, it will need some thin plywood down to level it out me thinks. What’s easy to fit for a diyer please? Lino? Are those sticky backed tiles any good and waterproof?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes put 12mm ply down. Lino is very tricky to fit. One wrong cut and it’s ruined.

Your vinyl tiles solution is certainly easier to fit than lino. it also may not be beyond you to tile it again. Just watch a few YouTube vids to glean some tips and insights.

to level over an existing floor, usually 6mm or 9mm Ply is fine.

Sheet vinyl is tricky to fit but can be templated.

DIY self adhesive tiles are terrible quality.

Glue down LVT tiles are doable but you would want to feather edge/microcoat the ply screws and gaps between the ply sheets before fitting.

Click LVT tiles are generally rubbish.

Laminate isn't suitable even if it's claimed to be waterproof.

Ceramic tiles are a whole new skill set.

As a plumber I really hate plywood flooring I would go for cement board and tiled.

Sponsored Links
I managed to get away with DIY lino in my bathroom. It helped that I had first re tiled everywhere and left a 10mm gap at the bottom ( no skirting) I then had extra space under the tiles +the original plaster thickness right back to the brick so I could cut the lino over size and slide it under. The area where the bath was going to be I did not have to worry about.
I did debate with myself - and here actually if I should place the loo on it and mark and cut or just put the loo directly on the lino.
I went for directly on and so far after 7 years I have not had any issues with the lino compressing under the loo and causing leaks.

If the room already had a loo and bath etc - there is no way I would attempt to lay lino myself.

Just saying but Perhaps sheet vinyl is the term required - not lino?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back