lino over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice please.
I need to get lino put on my flat floor (bathroom). The floor has tiles affixed to it at this present moment and Im wondering if I should put some sort of screed/cement over the floor to make it solid and prevent the tiles moving and then put lino over it? Or should I just have the tiles removed and have the floor lino'd on plywood?
If I go for the second option, I fear I will need to have it screeded anyway to make the floor level?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the uneven-ness/grout lines of the tiles, and exactly what you are having fitted.

Lino or linoleum is an unusual product to fit nowadays but MUST be fully stuck to a perfectly smooth subfloor, ideally lifting the tiles (assuming they are ceramic) before correctly prepping the subfloor with ply or screed (depending if it's concrete or wood subfloor). It may be possible to primer and screed over the tiles but there is a risk that anymovement may crack the lino.

If you are having an LVT (luxury vinyl tile) floor fitted, the same applies as above.

If you are having a sheet vinyl floor fitted, then uplift is not absolutely necerssary, although would be advisable if possible. If fitting over the top, primer, screed and loose lay the vinyl, or you could use F-Ball Isolator over the tiles and fit the vinyl over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back