Bathroom installation advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has asked me to install a new bathroom suite for him. Though with the addition of a show cubicle as well as a free standing bath and new towel radiatior. So my question is on installation advice are these. The new towel rad i would like to use chrome pipework up into the rad and run copper pipework under the floorboards. Now its not practible to use a compression fitting below the floor as it will be relaid with laminted flooring, can you file off the chrome finish so you can solder to this?, or is there another method of coupling this up.
The basin waste pipework also i am thinking would look better in a chrome finish also, can you but 1 1/4 chrome pipe for this or do you buy the type that sleeves over the top of the waste?. If so how is it joined to the plastic waste under the floorboards, pushfit elbow not practible again cos of no/lack access. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
You could use a push fit fitting below the floor

No you can't (assuming you're talking about the tap feeds here), check the manufacturers instructions and you'll see that with most push fit fittings they are not approved for use on chrome plated pipe, as chrome is a harder material and could prevent the fitting from gripping properly. Granted, there are many situations where push fit has been used successfully on chrome pipe, but in the event of failure the fitting's warranty will be null and void. Incidentally if you're aware of a fitting that is approved for use on chromed pipe, I'd love to know what it is...just in case ;)

Clean off the chrome and solder the pipe would be my advice.

As for the chrome waste, yes it is obtainable, but make sure you're sitting down before you look at the prices, it ain't cheap. You can use compression fittings on this, multifit ones will join it to plastic.

yes, you can just carefull file off the chrome finish and use the solder as normal. as for the chrome waste pipe if you search around you can also get chrome compresion fittings in the appropriate size .

Sponsored Links
Yes i can see your point regarding the price of chrome waste !. What about the option of the chrome effect sleeving that can fit over the waste pipe?. Also what are the options in running the hot/cold up from the floor to the bath taps?. You need a different type of 3/4 tap connector for this or do you file the chrome off and solder the tap connector on. ?

Chrome effect sleeving looks OK for a while but often deteriorates, and can be attacked by some cleaning products. I've never seen it for waste pipe either (although that's not to say it doesn't exist...). It won't cover the fittings though.

As for the tap connectors, yes you can file off the chrome and solder some on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back