Bathroom installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Im in the middle of pricing a shower installation. The bathroom will contain 3 circuits,lights shower and storage heater. Protecting the light and shower circuit by the means of a rcd is no problem but for the storage heater i was thinking of protecting that via a rcd spur as the storage heater is feed from a old rewireable board on E7. Can anyone see a problem with that method or have any better ideas? Any suggestions please :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me.

Are you creating a bathroom where one did not exist before, or adding this storage heater etc into an existing one?

If not then you don't have to do anything to the circuits already there - they aren't your doing or your responsibility.

Im simply just putting a shower circuit into the existing bathroom,storage heater is already installed,but with the current regs doesnt that require me to make sure all circuits in the bathroom are rcd protected?

Sponsored Links
BAS's reasoning on this i normally agree with (only been responsible for new bits) but i will offer a different side in this instance.

as i understand if you add a new circuit to the bathroom it must be bonded to all others (+conductive parts that come in from outside the bathroom i.e. pipes), however if all bathroom circuits are on an RCD and the Main bonding is up to scratch (which it must be before you do the shower etc anyway) then you can do away with supplementary bonding, so you may choose to go for RCD protection on all bathroom circuits (inc the ones you didnt touch) to avoid unsightly bonding.

That's true - you may choose to - thanks for pointing that out. I was concentrating on the "have to" aspect...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back