Bathroom / Kitchen paints .. what are the options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been painting my whole house, with a very exciting magnolia colour to all walls and white to ceilings.

Now, all that is left to paint are the bathroom, toilet and kitchen, but I am shocked at the vast price difference, between, say the 10 litres B&Q normal silk magnolia emulsion, which was about £11 a tub, to Dulux kitchen paint, at about £26 / 2.5 litres.

That's a jump from £1.10 / litre to £10.40

Is there such a vast difference in quality.

Does anybody know of any good deals at the moment for kitchen / bathroom paint please

I just want white for the bathroom and toilet and a very light beige for the kitchen.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You could always try white eggshell for the bathroom/toilet instead of the so-called bathroom paint. it's equally durable and steam proof, within reason.

As far as the kitchen is concerned, I would bite the bullet and pay for something greaseproof and scrubbable (the 20 times tougher one or similar) as it will save you money in the long run. (You won't have to redecorate after a year, just clean it!). The extra £15 -£20 compared with cheaper ordinary emulsion is nothing relative to the life of the paint and your time decorating is it? The Dulux Natural Calico or Magnolia might be the colour you're after.

I echo bradleydecorating's thoughts, re: using Acrylic Eggshell. It is effectively the same thing as the K&B paint but the trade versions are best and even dearer.

It sounds as though you have just used the B&Q value emulsion (£11), which is basically a cheap contract emulsion with no (or very low) vinyl content. If so, it is not very hardwearing and when it comes to wiping any marks you may get you will probably find that the emulsion will come off, leaving a chalky residue on the cloth (especially matt) and a patch on the wall. It's not great as a finish coat unless you can guarantee not putting hands on the surface or any dirty splashes.
For this reason, it really is wise to go with a better quality paint for the kitchen and bathroom.

Agree re: investing in a good quality Kitchen greaseproof paint - I did this and it's one of the best investments I made. Inevitably cooking will result in stuff getting on the paint and the Dulux stuff I used wipes clean no matter what's on it or how soon after it happens you notice.

I opted for mould-resistant bathroom paint for the ensuite ceiling, but that was mainly because ventilation wasn't that great. So long as ventilation is good then you might get away with a cheaper paint.

Sponsored Links
My kitchen is Dulux trade (yellow) oil based eggshell over lining paper. Extremely durable, only long term downside is that it has darkened slightly.

I used acrylic undercoat first and gave it a light sand to obliterate the texture of the lining paper.

I love the finish and believe me, I am one anál old git.

Cost wise it may have infact been cheaper than waterbased eggshell because of the superior coverage. It did smell though ;)

In areas of high humidity it has the advantage of the paint not being softened by the steam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back