Bathroom layout - concrete floor and waste connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are creating a bathroom and bedroom in what was previously a kitchen diner on the ground floor of our house. I attached a (badly drawn) plan of what we plan to do here. The floor is concrete and we absolutely do not want to break it up in any way for various reasons. The house is built on a slope, so the back, which is at the top of the plan, is underground up to ceiling level, and the front it at ground level with a window into what would be the bedroom. To the left is the garage, separated by a block wall, and to the right is the entrance, then a corridor into the boiler room, laundry room and cellar with an existing toilet and handbasin with cold water only. The wall that separates the entrance from the room in question is load-bearing. The kitchen used to be in the place where we plan to put the bathroom, so there is hot water in place provided by a Chappée Luna ST boiler. The soil stack is in the room, (the black circle with a cross) and waste from the existing toilet and hand basin, plus the old kitchen and the upstairs toilet come into it via pipes that run along the wall in the garage, then pass through the bloack wall to join the existing soil stack at ground level in a big mess. The horizontal soil pipe in the garage is about 20cm off the floor at the highest point and the handbasin waste pipe is above it (red lines on plan).

I have a couple of questions and would love your advice:
- we had planned to put the waste pipes through the block wall into the garage to join the existing ones, rather than run them in the bathroom itself. Is this sensible?
- given the above, and the concrete floor, we would need to raise the shower tray on a plinth. This could potentially look a bit rubbish. Does anyone have a better idea?
- one builder suggested we needed a Saniflo type pump for the shower waste. Does this make sense?
- would it be better to change the position of the shower and toilet so that that shower is closer to the soil stack and we could join the waste directly to it through the new partition wall?
- in general should we run the pipes in the garage then through the wall, as they are now, to avoid having pipework in the bathroom itself?
- given we are in a half basement (we have good extraction in place already from the old kitchen) should the floors, ceilings and walls be waterproofed somehow? Most people just say they will paint the walls with a waterproofing solution before tiling, but as we have a concrete floor above with the original wood floor glued directly to it I am worried that any moisture in the walls and ceiling will just make its way up through the concrete into the floor above.

I really appreciate your input as we have had a few people round to quote and they all contradict each other over what is and isn't possible and we are just going in circles. For info we live on a road of identical houses and everyone has this bathroom layout, but we are different because the soil stack and waste evacuation has been modified already.

Thank you!
Gill

Attachments

• Bathroom.JPG
    Bathroom.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Very difficult to visualise anything from your description and drawing, really need some clear photographs and/or drawings to see what it is you already have and what you're proposing to do.

@StephenStephen I've always steered away from any jobs that require artistic talent!

I will take a photos and make a plan that is safe to read ;)

I think my question is really about the shower waste/plinth height and how to route the pipes.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
IMG_20231010_092502.jpg

Depending on how much you need to raise the tray by you can buy plinth kits that cover the height so it's not really noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_092508.jpg
    IMG_20231010_092508.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 23

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back