Bath to Shower Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend we started a project to strip out the bath from our old Bathroom as we want to replace the Bath for a 1200 Shower Enclosure.
We realised very quickly the job was going to be made more difficult due to the internal Soil Pipe being fitted above floor level (BOXED IN) to the toilet in the corner of the room.
The reason for the internal soil pipe is that on the outside of the house there is a lean to roof above the utility room. An extension has been built onto the side of the house where the soil pipe used to come through the wall. The Roof Flashing finishes higher than the soil pipe (See photo) on the outside wall. Therefore running the shower waste would mean raising the Shower Tray and Waste system above the height of the soil pipe to allow waste water from the shower to drain away. The Bath Waste was previously fitted via a strap boss into the soil pipe (See photo). To enable the Shower Tray and Waste trap to be fitted at the same height, utilising the strap boss into the soil pipe, the bottom of the Shower Tray will be sitting at a minimum height above floor level of 275mm. This means stepping up into the Shower, a large step, something we wanted to avoid.
I will be looking for help on this one!
Soil Pipe Bath.jpg Soil Pipe Unboxed.jpg Soil Pipe Lean To Roof.jpgSoil Pipe Extension Entry 1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Run shower waste outside and into boss already on soil pipe.Don't forget to cap off strap on boss.

Thats where my problem lies the boss on the soil stack coupling is above floor level.
I want to run a waste pipe under the floorboards but getting to the outside wall is difficult due to,
1. The lean to roof
2. The extension
If I managed to get a pipe outside I could not utilise the boss on the soil stack as the waste pipe would come out of the wall in a lower position.
I would have to fit a strap boss I guess.

Sponsored Links
It's a pig of a job. I think the easiest way would be to lift the floor and add a new waste through the joists usings two elbows. Get a shower tray so the waste it on the wall next to the soil. So your new pipe is a good bit away from the old. Then run to a new boss in the external soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back