Drainage connection question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've attached a picture and hope you guys can help me.

I have a bath waste pipe that's going through the floor board (ground floor) and connects into the soil pipe using a boss strap.

Unfortunatley the connection has failed at the boss strap.

Not sure what the best way would be to resolve this. I could maybe use the cement stuff and seal it again but if it fails again I would never find out so want to make super sure i do this right.

All advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-10-17-48-50.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-10-17-48-50.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
The boss straps I have used have the sewer drilled for rubber plug, then the strap is put on to hold the rubber plug in. The pipe is force fitted into the rubber bung. So exactly which bit is leaking?. I would think that taking it apart, cleaning every bit up and slavering it with any silicone goo you have to hand before re-assembley should sort it. The sewer pipe is not filled with water is it? Because according to your sketch there should be no water at the top level of the sewer pipe.
Frank

This is one I have fitting. It's come away from the pipe.
When I get to it tomorrow I'll take a pic

Attachments

• ae235.jpeg
    ae235.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi, has anyone used this type of connection, instead of the strap boss.
Would this be a better option?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-11-07-44-23.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-11-07-44-23.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Yes - good product but can be awkward to fit in a confined space and, on a horizontal run like yours, you need to ensure that the side connection doesn't intrude too far into the soil pipe. Where the boss is concealed after fitting I always use solvent weld fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Newboy,

Other option I have I suppose is to put a T on the horizontal and connect a vertical length of soil pipe and connect this boss to that.
Of course would cap the top off.

How's that sound?

Hi

Are flexible waste pipes any good.

To overcome the problem I face I'm thinking of using one of these extending off the boss using a flexi waste pipe and then the plastic tube extended off that to the bath and sink.

The boss connection for some reason became loose and developed a leak and I was fortunate to have spotted before flooring everything up again.

By adding the flexi I'm thinking if I ever need to undo the the sink or bath waste (Hopefully) it shouldn't disturb the boss as it wouldn't be too rigid.

I've attached a diagram of how I'm thinking to plug it up. Do you see any potential issues?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-12-06-57-10.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-12-06-57-10.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 118
1) Flexible waste pipe are prone to catching dirt and debris due to the corrugations in the pipe.
2) Don't use compression joints under the floor - solvent weld always.
3) If you can avoid combining wastes from different appliances in small bore pipework then you should.
4) If you do combine basin and bath then you may need to fit anti-vac traps to prevent 'siphonage' - particularly relevant to the basin as the bath discharge may well pull the basin trap.

Thanks Newboy, I really appreciate your advice here.

I'm stumped now not sure best way foward.

I definitely don't want leaks and wouldn't want any blockages either which you say the flexi may cause.

Given the illustration above what would you say is the best way forward?
Please bare in mind the boss connection and the concern of potential movement

I just want to add how great everyone is on here. Very helpful.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
Add a boss pipe section as my post #7 - use solvent weld components.

Thanks Newboy,

Re configured the pipes yesterday which was a bit of a pain but hopefully it'll be worth it.

I stuck a collar joint with pre built boss connections on the vertical soil ( which is connected to the toilet) and replaced the horizontal with a new bit of pipe to get rid of the hole I made for the strap.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back