Cutting / jointing into a clay soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am searching for ideas and/or solutions to my question; I hope someone will be able to help.

I am about to start converting a downstairs extension into a bathroom, and I need to connect the new toilet to the existing soil pipe.
My first thought was a strap-on-boss, but when I discovered the soil pipe was an 'old' clay type I came to a halt.

Will I still be able to use the same strap-on-boss principle or will I need a different method altogether?

I am still researching the topic but if someone can provide an informed/professional answer, I would be indebted to them.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake!

You need to buy a couple of clay-plastic fernco type couplers. These are the sturdy rubber jubilee clip fellas and are a boon to fit.

You need to dig a big hole and expose three or four feet of pipe then graft in a new section including either an inspection chamber or a branch with a rodding eye.

The 'graft' will involve you cutting the pipe twice say 3' apart and remove this old piece of pipe making sure you cut well away from any clay joints. Because the fernco couplers are also slip couplers by nature, makes the job even simpler.

Once the fernco are in place its then up to you how you come off the couplings with new plastic fittings.

As i said, building control would ask for either a mini access chamber (dependant upon depth) or a branch with a rodding eye.

How deep are the drains?

where is the existing soil pipe?.By the definition of soil pipe im assuming youre cutting into a vertical pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far, and my apologies for the lack of clarity.

The house was built in the 60's, and the clay soil pipe is boxed inside the house.

I want to cut into a vertical section of the clay soil pipe to connect a 40mm plastic pipe. As an additional point, the 40mm pipe is coming from a macerator.

not sure about getting to 40mm but you could cut and shut a 100mm "T" junction and then reduce to 40mm.Other option is to replace the stack with plastic and use a boss as you mentioned.

You can still apply the same principal as i described but graft in one of these.
tn_straightaccess_jpg.gif

It has a removable rodding section which may be very useful since you are using a macerator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back