Connecting pvc 110mm to old clay y joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I tried searching everywhere on internet regarding this but no luck in finding anything hence why I'm here.

Basically I need to connect a new 110mm pvc soil pipe into an old clay y piece which will be underground. I know I could use the special coupler for pvc to clay but I need to connect to the actual clay joint which is a lot bigger then the actual clay pipe.

The new pipe actually fits nice and tight into the old clay joint. Would it be ok if I just put some plumbers mait on and push it through the y piece. If not what would you advice?

Sponsored Links
You can get larger couplers or you might beable to cut down a boss.

The clay joint you refer to is, I presume, the branch from the clay Y?
How was the original clay pipe fixed in the Y-branch?
Rubber bushings and/or Fernco flexi connectors might be what you need.
If the Y-hub wont take a bushing and the 110mm pipe then you may have to cut off the clay Y and work from plain ended clay pipe with a new Y.
Or, as above, perhaps an adapter from plastic to clay hub (I doubt that enough would be left on the stub if the hub were cut off)?
Dont even attempt to use plumbers mait.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise guys. the stub is in 1 piece so I have found a rubber coupler which is 170mm to 110mm and fits perfectly onto the y piece stub as the stub is 170mm as well.

Thanks for the photos Noseall. Very usefull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back