Cutting Clay Soil Pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a Clay Soil Pipe that goes to the Toilet in Bathroom.
What's the best Cutting Disc to use?
I have a 4 1/2" Angle Grinder.

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
You need a stone cutting disc. A 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a 100mm disk should just about manage it. I've used a 250mm disk in one but it gets rather “interesting” & can be dangerous if your not very, very careful. Don't force it, just take your time & you should be OK & wear a proper repertory mask not the thin paper crap ones; you won’t believe the dust it will kick up!

I've used a special soil pipe cutter before. You can get it from hire shops and it comprises of a 'chain' which tightens around the pipe and cuts it slowly from the outside - like a copper pipe cutter but on a bigger scale.

I've used a special soil pipe cutter before. You can get it from hire shops and it comprises of a 'chain' which tightens around the pipe and cuts it slowly from the outside - like a copper pipe cutter but on a bigger scale.
Fine if generally cutting clay pipes but if the OP is trying to achieve the same as I was, i.e. get rid of the massive collar around the top of the pipe concreted into the floor, limited access means it probably wont fit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help both.

I was thinking about using a special soil pipe cutter, but like Richard said the access is slightly limited.

I need to cut it where the 2 red arrows are pointing and then fit a 'Clay to Plastic' adapter.
2009_05180503090005-1.jpg

You need to go with the disk cutter then; but be CAREFULL ;)

I've taken a closer look at this and even with a disc cutter it is going to be very difficult because of the closeness to the wall.
Instead of cutting the flange off(where arrowed) could I take the elbow out of flange and then slide some kind of pipe into the internal bore and seal it?
And then connect 110mm pipe to this?

Sorry for being a pain.

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick.
However, if it's the vertical pipe and elbow that you need to replace, why not start by cutting off the vertical pipe above the elbow and then carefully cut away the elbow, piece by piece, until you are left with the horizontal pipe, hopefully a bit longer than if you cut it off by the arrows.

Does that make sense?

Dave

Are you replacing the stack? Can you explain a little more about what your trying to achieve as I had assumed you wanted to cut the flange off flush with the floor so you could fit a modern toilet but I think I may have got it wrong :rolleyes:

McAlpine do a fitting similar to a pan connector, that should fit internally in the clayware pipe and then accept a 110mm spigot.

http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/productmenu.asp

Click on drain connectors, the DC1 is the fitting I had in mind.

That would be brilliant. Will that fit inside a clay soil pipe?
What is the internal diameter of a clay pipe?

Help very much appreciated.

Just my 2p worth ;) I would cut with an angle grinder on the verticle part of the pipe- assuming it`s just going to the wc pan/not a full stack. and I would previously have strengthened the bend @ the base with a mound of concrete. That old stone glazed is notoriously " patchy" in its makeup you can get splits/breaks where you don`t want them. I`ve had exactly this trouble in my back garden with an interceptor trap on the drain run to sewer- got a nice tan on my back ,lying on the grass with head down a hole I dug :eek: Then I`d use those rubber couplings with jubilee clips to adapt from placcy to stoneware ( fernco, I think ) Those wheel cutters are more for the Hepsleeve type of drain pipe. similar ones for cast iron. The old drainlayers used to stand a pipe on the sand pile and fill it with sand tamped down, then go round and round with a bolster and club hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back