Clay pipes disintegrated

I would assume, (although assumption is the Mother of all cockup's), the drain would run in a straight line from the WC to the main run along the back. Very surprised there isn't a manhole at the point of connection, (unless there is and someone has buried it....)

Is there any access to the sewer at any point in yours or a neighbours garden? I recall you saying you didn't have any covers, (but dont automatically assume there arent any, never ceases to amaze how many cover them over...) CCTV or Sonde Trace could be used if you can get access, to plot the route of the sewer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the pics.

As above, I think you have a buried manhole.

Looking down the street manhole can you take a pic?
And flush a WC and see what happens?
The WC that you show in your last pic, where is it located?
Do you have two WC's?

At the rear elevation to the left - does your neighbour or neighbours also have soil pipes on the rear elev just like yours?
If they do then they will all probably have a shared sewer running parallel with the rear elevations, and possibly draining towards your end of the terrace - following the hillside slope.

Can’t see any other drains in the street. All the neighbours have soil pipes at the rear. I do have 2 toilets. Pic is the downstairs in the extension. It’s the little window from the pic where the concrete is. Been working but will start digging it up. Hoping there are pipes underneath.

Sponsored Links
What do you intend to dig up?

Given there's only one S&VP then i guess that the downstairs WC drains/ties into that - Anyhow, if both WC's are draining freely then fair enough.
1. you can sump drain to the front area - 8/10
2. you can run a gutter at high level across the gable to tie in with the rear elevation gutter - 6/10
3. If i understand - you were originally draining under the garage - perhaps the garage drain (post smashed pipe) was a home run to the rear lateral or it connected to the S&VP drain? 6/10.

Morning. Intend to dig up the old stairs underneath the kitchen window. Want to get rid to park there anyway so it’s a bonus if there’s a pipe.
Otherwise the sump area is the winner, in front of the garage where there’s a large area.
Don’t fancy extending the guttering across the side as it’ll look unsightly. I’ll post pics when I get on. Again, thanks for everyone’s comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back