Cutting concrete round clay pipe (pic added)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I did post before, but did not include the image I have here

I am looking to cut away the concrete floor from this clay pipe but I am worried I may crack the pipe. What would be the best way to go about this.

I also have some plastic pipes (not shown in this pic) would it be the same method used for the clay pipe.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_190722-min.jpg
    IMG_20220517_190722-min.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
I would carefully use hand tools around it where possible. The pipe in the photo looks like cast iron imo.

I would cut a square around the pipe, then carefully make another cut through the square, as close to the pipe as you dare, then use a chisel to try and 'split' the concrete so it comes cleanly off the pipe. As Chris has said above, it looks like cast iron.

Bear in mind the concrete may also be holding the clay drain underneath the soil pipe together, removing the concrete may cause further issues.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
There may also be a shallow bend (unlikely) that connects a horizontal to that SVP that may be at risk from damage from over run from the breaker tool. Careful how you punch through the concrete!(y)

Sponsored Links
I would carefully use hand tools around it where possible. The pipe in the photo looks like cast iron imo.
Yes probably cast iron, I don't know the difference between the two....
Is cast iron stronger I e less prone to cracking

Yes probably cast iron, I don't know the difference between the two....
Is cast iron stronger I e less prone to cracking
Well, it’s metal for one :LOL:, but yes, stronger, but can still crack with a whack, so still need to be careful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back