Bathroom Light, Confused at wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bathroom light was starting to look tired and rusty so I thought that I'd buy a new light.

The light uses a dimmer switch

When I removed the old light, it looked like the following...

The wiring looks a bit strange to me, also, I'm not sure why there is also a red wire not connected to anything.

Here are the instructions from the new light fitting.

Can somebody please help!

(I'm a novice!)

Sponsored Links
hi it looks like a triple cable is what is confusing you do you have a bathroom fan with a timer? also where did the old light connect into hopefully with switch live and neutral

I have a fan but it isn't on a timer, it's got its own switch and you just manually turn it on and off (seems to be on the same breaker at the fuse box though.)

The light was connected to the red and yellow and also the Black and blue (I presume yellow is switched live?)

Just concerned about the extra live and why it's there and not taped up!

Thanks

ok it looks like they are only using the neutral and switched live on the triple cable and not the live. is there only 2 cables going into the connection block as i thought that the shadow of the triple live wire was another neutral lol i was fooled. if you put the live wire from the triple into a separate block and test it is it dead?

Sponsored Links
You need a little enclosure for that connector block before you put it back in the ceiling
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back