Bathroom motion sensor night light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, any thoughts on the following - We have 10 LED downlights in our bathroom and have decided we would like 1 downlight to come on at night activated by a motion sensor, and place a light switch in a cupboard in a room behind the bathroom to be able to isolate it.
I would disconnect 1 downlight from the daisy chained downlights and placed in a junction box and as we’ve got an empty plug socket in the attic would it be safe to run a cable from the LED downlight we want to come on at night to a motion sensor to a light switch then to a plug socket? Ive included a pic which ive put together all the items and they all worked as they should. Just curious as if this would be a safe setup?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• 5E9ECC64-2B6E-4A38-8DFF-60830A27D172.jpeg
    5E9ECC64-2B6E-4A38-8DFF-60830A27D172.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 324
Sponsored Links
Plugging fixed lights into a socket is a bit tacky - can you not just hard-wire it into the lighting circuit? (Does it loop at the ceiling, or the switches?)

What's the idea behind having this? Have you tested just one light on to see if it would do what you want?

What's the purpose of the switch in the cupboard? Yes, I know, "isolation", but when and why?

PS - 10 lights in a bathroom?

Do you need 10 because the room is enormous, or to get round the problem that the lights aren't actually very good at the job of lighting the room up?

Can’t comment on the set up but I must say that this seems like a great idea to have one spotlight on a motion sensor making trips to the bathroom at night a little easier than turning on all the lights

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it's something like that, but I did wonder if just 1 light would be enough. Also for any prolonged visits there will be the plunged-into-darkness-and-waving-of-arms problem.

Maybe an illuminated seat might be a solution.

Or changing to dimmable lighting.

Ye it could be hard wired in to lighting circuit but not fully confident to do that. Ye we’ve tested 1 light on and its perfect for what we need, when my son goes in to the bathroom at night the clicking sound from the light switch along with half the lights coming on is waking our 2 year old daughter up.
Unfortunately the bathroom was always fitted with 10 when we moved in, we will be removing 2 downlights, 1 will become a ceilinv speaker and the other one will be replaced with a ceiling flush motion sensor.
The motion sensor ive bought will stay on for a selected time, however if it detects movement within the countdown time it restarts the countdown without the light switching off.

The motion sensor ive bought will stay on for a selected time,
I presume it does NOT have a photo cell so will work during the day as well.
Not really a problem but if someone switched it off you may forget to switch it on again.

however if it detects movement within the countdown time it restarts the countdown without the light switching off.
Yes, they do - but if standing still or sitting down, it will switch off and arm waving will become necessary.

You'd better warn your son - or he can play with it in the day time to get used to it.

When I saw the thread title "Bathroom motion sensor...", I imagined something going off when you do a number two...:sneaky:

I am getting fed up with the bathroom lights being left on and am considering a motion sensor that switches on one downlight (we have 7 downlights and they light the room well and look neat). I'd wire it so one light came on with the sensor, perfect for a night time visit, if more light is needed during the day for having a shower or a shave etc then the light switch would turn on the others as long as the sensor was triggered.
That way no more finding lights left on for ages.

We have a small LED strip that is hidden under the basin shelf and comes on via a PIR sensor. Works really well and prevents the bright lights in the night situation!

I was thinking also of fitting a LED strip connected to motion sensor but was stuck where it could go and would it be waterproof.

Our problem was not in the bath room but on the way to the bath room, switching on hall light would wake people, not switching on danger of tripping over rubbish left around by my wife, first idea was training any rubbish left around went straight in the bin, after she retrieved her hand bag and hit me with it, considered a different approach, Lidi plug in lamp, movement at night or power cut turns it on. There were two
1466495_1.jpg
one shown and flat one, I got flat one and ideal.

OK inside a bathroom no sockets, but principal is the same, and yes it works A1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back