Bathroom mould - painting over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house nearly two years ago and inherited a mouldy bathroom.

It’s only in the painted area of the walls though, not within sealant etc but spreads like wildfire!

It seems to start in one corner all the time (above the bath) and spread rapidly until we have to periodically wipe it away but even then it’s still visible before it returns a few weeks later.

A month or so ago I spent ages cleaning it all with bleach, allowing it to dry and painter over with bathroom paint (screwfix no nonsense stuff).

It’s now returned and I have to do it all again.

I’ve read other similar questions on here but nothing about recommending any decent paint.

I think our bathroom is well ventilated. We have an extractor fan (maybe quite old), Window open during showering and always on vent when closed. We also have a decent ebac dehumidifier outside the bathroom but still the mould comes back.

Could it be that it’s within the plasterboard and the whole thing needs redoing? Or can you recommend a decent paint that will kerb it for good?

It’s really starting to pee me off!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could just be a cold outside wall even single brick if it is an extension. Are you leaving the fan on or window open for a while after you have finished bathing?

Could just be a cold outside wall even single brick if it is an extension. Are you leaving the fan on or window open for a while after you have finished bathing?

Thanks for the reply.

It’s not an extension just normal part of our house, built 2001.

We do leave the extractor on and window open. The extractor is ceiling mounted and into the loft so I wonder if it’s a problem with how the tubing is set up in the loft and it’s therefore not as effective as it should be.

Do you see the steam being discharged outside? Worth checking vents for build up of fluff and looking at the fan to see if you can fit a stronger one.
Might even be the pipe if it is flexible has been crushed by someone climbing in the loft.

Sponsored Links
extractor on and window open

that will prevent the extractor achieving suction which prevents the water vapour drifting around. Depending on proximity of fan to window, the fan might even be sucking the fresh air out. Extractor fans work best with the door and winow shut, and enough of a gap under the door for cool dry air to enter.

Water vapour is lighter than air, so in a still room it will rise towards the ceiling (and the fan) and the dry air will build up beneath it, stratifying, until it fills the room and the fan has removed the wet air.

Some old fans are very ineffective, and fluff accumulates. If you have a duct, you can get a fan that may be three times as powerful, and quieter.

If you allow a person to light a cigarette (or a joss stick) under the fan, you should see the smoke being sucked away, so there is no smell leaking back into the room.

Please post a photo of your fan, outlet and duct.

4 coats of Ronseal Anti-mould paint worked wonders in our bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back