Bathroom paint recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm repainting a small ensuite. The wife wants it done with one of the Graham and Brown colours, specifically Eva.

While G&B do a 'resistance' finish, I'm always a bit skeptical about consumer paints, not least because the reviews here - https://www.grahambrown.com/uk/eva-resistance-ultra-matt-emulsion-4l/CT-080-085-107043.html - suggest that coverage is very poor.

I'm assuming that like F&B, the key thing for G&B is a matt finish. I tend to use Brewers to match colours to a decent trade paint. My questions are:

• Is there a quality matt finish tintable trade paint suitable for bathroom use? I've found Johnstone's Cleanable Matt - https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/AF039505F - but not sure if it's appropriate for a bathroom?
  • Otherwise, what finish should I be looking for? Silk? Eggshell?
  • Finally, skirting - we're doing these in same colour but I'd have thought you'd want a higher sheen finish compared to the walls. What's recommended?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
For a small en-suite with a shower, I would use waterbased eggshell. Large bathrooms with suitable ventilation, a decent quality matt emulsion is fine.

The Johnstones Cleanable might actually be ok. Those kind of paints are generally pretty non porous.

For the woodwork, I would go for an oil based eggshell. I am not a fan of waterbased finishes on woodwork, they are not as durable but, unlike oil based they will not yellow in rooms with little natural lighting.

I used Johnstone's Acrylic Durable Matt in my bathroom, kitchen and hallway. It's similar to cleanable matt but has anti-mould ingredient in it.

Thanks all. For anyone who cares, here's the disaster which followed:

Tried to get Johnstone's Durable Matt at Brewers (side note: they said this is definitely the best paint) colour-matched to the G&B sample. Unfortunately they don't do matching by name for G&B so it's "pick from this colour card". The wife was having none of that as she believes in the Dulux scanner has magic powers, so then it was 'can you do an optical scan for Dulux and give me some Diamond Matt?'.

Then their scanner didn't seem to be able to scan the colour.

Then my wife stormed off in a huff, dragged me to HOMEBASE and long story short I'm now having to paint with Dulux Easycare Kitchen o_O as the only vaguely durable matt. And then she decided she wanted gloss skirting.

Luckily it's only for a guest en-suite so hopefully it won't matter too much.

Sponsored Links
I bought my Johnstone's from Paintshed. Great service and fast delivery too. They can help with all the colour matching.
I've heard some good things about Easycare, apparently it's "almost" the same as Dulux Diamond just slightly thinner for easier rolling according to a handyman friend. You've got to roll fast or the roller will pick the paint back up creating problem thought. I've seen it in friend's hallway and look really nice hardwearing too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back