Bathroom rad weeping joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Bathroom towel rad has started leaking a bit, about a drip every 10 mins.

Was all fine, but I shut the water off today to adjust some hot & cold pipes to fit a new sink & toilet, when I turned water back on that's when the leak started.

Pic attached, what's the simplest way of dealing with it? Am I right in thinking if I shut valves off I can unscrew this valves without having to drain entire central heating system?

If it's leaking from under there does that mean rad needs replacing?

Cheers

20200105_165741.jpg

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking if I shut valves off I can unscrew this valves without having to drain entire central heating system?

Yes, you can redo the joint. This is completely different from the the hot an cold supplies though, they wouldn't affect it..

Yes just turn both sides off (counting turns for balancing), open bleed vent to make sure they’ve turned off, drain radiator and inspect/repair the leaking rad tail. Reconnect, open valves close bleed vent once water runs feeely.

Thanks.
To drain I'm just undoing the offending valve and letting water run out?

I won't need to add any inhibitor will I?

Sponsored Links
Well this is fun. Planning on doing this tomorrow as it's getting late in the date.

Heating has come on, now rad is weeping from the nut at the back and no longer from top?!

I've tried to tighten this but can't really tighten it anymore.

20200105_174427.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn’t need inhibitor for the amount drained out. Drain it how you want. Chances are the olive maybe crushed, if you can’t go anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back