Cant stop the water!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to shut off a service valve yesterday,to remove a downstairs rad and the screw started to leak when i burst through the paint! i have closed
off the stop cock under the sink,and toilet,opened taps,but its still under presure,i put the boiler on for 30seconds then off.the water was warm.the pipe apears to go under my tiles up to the boiler. is the a shut off there?

HELP :cry:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
two hours in, all rads are empty,but the pipe is still on?what have i missed?

not a plumber mate, but could you not lock off each individual rad ?

i think that there is a service tap at your boiler where you could stop the water, i think

other possibility is that the stop cock you shut off is knackered

one of the guys on here in the know will be along shortly i imagine and keep you right, maybe my suggestions may help, maybe not, hope they do

Jimmy

i have a galley kitchen in a victorian semi with bath room after that,at the end of the kitchen i have a baxi combi,the pipe that is giving me trouble is the one that i think runs from the boiler which is under my tiled floor feeding the kitchen rad and toilet rad and runs upstairs.the pipe is about four feet from the boiler ,and its the service valve that needs replacing as its leaking throught the screw head. seems as if i need to stop the water from the boiler but dont know how?

i can tell you a way you could do it but i wouldnt be sure if plumbers would agree with me, get 1 of those cheap pipe freezing kits, freeze the pipe near the rad, cut it and put an isolator valve in, then you can shut off the water to it and replace the service valve on the rad.

I hope it is done by now! :LOL:

You need to post a pic or perhaps get someone in. There should not be a service valve on your rad either! :confused:

just! :evil:
I switched every bloody tap off i could find! emptied the system,but it was still under pressure?
7:15 at screwfix this morning bought freeze kit.it was sqeakey bum time, but it worked :eek: it saved me! do many people use it?.Boiler now up to pressure ,rads have been bled,so far so good. :?:
Anyway thanks for everyones help

just! :evil:
I switched every bloody tap off i could find! emptied the system,but it was still under pressure?
7:15 at screwfix this morning bought freeze kit.it was sqeakey bum time, but it worked :eek: it saved me! do many people use it?.Boiler now up to pressure ,rads have been bled,so far so good. :?:
Anyway thanks for everyones help

glad my advice helped you mate, thought i might get slated off the lads on here for advising that :oops: but at least you got sorted, well done

I hope it is done by now! :LOL:

You need to post a pic or perhaps get someone in. There should not be a service valve on your rad either! :confused:

perhaps he is talking about the valve at the end of the rad where you can turn the water off, sorry i dont know its proper name either, possibly a shut off valve ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back