Bathroom refurb - stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forum and browsing for days to gen up on my bathroom refurb. Just want to check I get this right before I start!

On removing old wall tiles I will no doubt damage the plasterboard on the one stud wall seperating the bathroom and bedroom, so I was going to replace the whole plasterboard wall with aquapanel. There is a doorway that need to be studded up as no longer required, so this will be 4"x2" 400mm centres and 50mm mineral wool insulation?
Is it OK to screw or dot-and-dab aquapanel to other plastered brick walls to make a nice even surface for tiling throughout?

I want to lower the floor back to original height (been raised by approx 1")so once I've stripped it all off it may require the floorboards (if there are any!) to be replaced with either aquapanels or 25mm WBP plywood. If floorboards OK then 18mm WBP over the top, or should I use aquapanel throughout?
Will be fitting electric underfloor heating underneath tiles - possibly marble. Have read that marmax boards insulate well for this purpose, so should the flooring be replaced with this instead?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Sponsored Links
so this will be 4"x2" 400mm centres and 50mm mineral wool insulation?
Sounds good to me.

Is it OK to screw or dot-and-dab aquapanel to other plastered brick walls to make a nice even surface for tiling throughout?
You can dab the aquapanel to the wall but the adhesive will not retain any grab. Once set you need to add screws to the aquapanel to secure it. The adhesive dabs become little more than spacers. This method is still an effective way (i use it regularly) of applying aquapanel as it affords you a true wall without the hassle of battens.

18mm WBP ?
18mm wbp will be ok but you will need to ad stiffening noggins to any joints. You will be ok with say 4" x 2" nogg's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back