Bathroom remodelling question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Calling all bathroom design aficionadoes...

I have a small bathroom, 150mm wide by 240mm deep, containing a compact (130mm) bath with mains fed shower over, WC and pedestal washbasin. I've tried to upload a diagram but unsuccessfully, so I'll have to describe the bathroom as a rectangle, side A (150mm) being North, side B (240mm) being East, C(150mm), South and D(240mm), West. Hope that makes sense.

I want to remodel the room to accommodate a full size bath with mains fed shower over, and preferably move the WC so that the soil pipe can be diverted straight through the gable end wall (side A) to the stack. In its current position on side B the WC waste goes down through the floor, along the underside of the ceiling in the utility room below and out to join the stack. I'm thinking that in the new configuration I ought to position the bath (which is currently along side A, with the rest of that side being taken up by boxing for the shower pipework) along side B, with the WC alongside the head of the bath on side A and sink somewhere on side D. Any comments gratefully received; if, that is, people can make sense of this without a diagram. If not, I'll have another go at uploading it.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Calling all bathroom design aficionadoes...

I have a small bathroom, 150mm wide by 240mm deep, containing a compact (130mm) bath with mains fed shower over, WC and pedestal washbasin. I've tried to upload a diagram but unsuccessfully, so I'll have to describe the bathroom as a rectangle, side A (150mm) being North, side B (240mm) being East, C(150mm), South and D(240mm), West. Hope that makes sense.
That is small 6"x 9"

I am sure you can fit a shower head in that space so best go for a wet room. :LOL:

Pete

Thanks for your support, guys.
Unfortunately, I have little choice but to try to maintain this linen-cupboard sized room as a workable bathroom, unless I start taking chunks out of the adjacent bedrooms.
Maybe I should go for a 1500mm bath instead and cut my space losses.

Sponsored Links
Wow, that very small, doll's house small or you've left out a few zero's on the original sizes :)
I think a 1500mm bath is going to be your limit with a shower into the bath. A few pics would be helpful?

I'll do my best. I did try to upload a diagram but somehow hit a brick wall when I went to add it to my post.

Its been a workable bathroom and almost certainly featured a full size bath in the past, because I could see where the fittings had been when I removed the old shower. Its my mission to make it so again, IF at all possible. We inherited it (not literally, we bought the house) as a bathroom with a walk in shower and I put the compact in to save having to disturb the existing tiling, but I think its about time to do the job properly.

Well done...no idea what I was doing wrong but yes, that's the feller. As you can see, the position of the window may well interfere with any pipework for a shower, IF I decide to fit the new bath alongside the East (or A) wall with the tap end at the window. I'd prefer to go for exposed shower pipework rather than lose space by boxing it in again; what do peeps think about this? Is it feasible to have exposed shower pipes over a bath without them looking unsightly?

I'm obviously going to have to completely retile the bathroom. I've done odd bits of tiles over the years but never an entire room, and it'll clearly be out of service until I can get a WC and sink reinstalled, and give the tiling in the shower enough time to dry out before first use. I suppose I could temporarily hang a shower curtain across the new shower tiling so it can still be available for limited use.

Lots to think about for this enthusiastic amateur.

You have three option that I can see -

1. Using a bath tap mixer with shower attachment that then fits on a riser rail. You get riser rails that are fed from a flexible pipe from the bath mixer tap
2. Using chrome pipe and fittings which wouldn't really look unsightly IMO.
3. Chase out wall and embed pipes to run up to a mixer.

Thanks, Madrab.

I'd clean forgotten about bath/shower mixers witih flexible pipework, what with having used a fixed shower installation for so long. Probably the better option though, as you suggest, chrome pipework doesn't look all that bad, as long as its neatly installed and matched with chrome fittings in the rest of the bathroom. Bit reluctant to chase out, given the potential for problems with access.

Plenty of food for thought, thanks again.

When it comes to remodeling your bathroom, many homeowners are looking to make the biggest splash with the smallest amount of money. But, typically, bathroom remodels aren’t cheap, with an average bath remodel costing somewhere in the range of $20,000. There are many bathroom remodelers out there who will do Bathroom remodeling and cheat you out of your hard earned money..For this work , A legitimate bathroom remodeler is very important. He will be designing your new bathroom, which you will probably be using for the next several years.With good bathroom remodelers, you know you are getting your money’s worth.They won’t try to cheat you out of your hard earned money, they will use all the right materials and they won’t slack off on the job.

Thanks, George. Fortunately, we seem to have sold the house, so my original question has become rather academic.

I have to add, however, that the UK equivalent of $20K to have my bathroom remodelled is way beyond the reach of my pocket, either now or in the future. I can't imagine that in this country, even the most spectacular and lavish bathroom refit for a room which is only six feet by eight would cost much more than ten grand; and I wouldn't pay anywhere near that far smaller sum, even if I had the money.

Cheers again for your response. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back