Bathroom Sink Waste - I'm weeping !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a number of problems with a couple of bathroom sink wastes that I have installed recently and i'm obviously doing something wrong!

I seem to be unable to seal the waste properly on the underside of the basin by the large nut. Is there a correct technique that anyone can suggest ? I have tried using silicon on either side of the plastic/rubber washer and on the top face of the large nut, tightened it up, let it dry but it still "weeped" a little. Should I be using any particular "gunk" to seal it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Plumbers mate is awful abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, bad, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, grody, gross, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, raunchy, repulsive, shocking, stinking, synthetic, terrible, ugly, unpleasant, unsightly, useless goo. Doesn't resist movement, then it just leaks.

Silicone should be fine. You may be forgetting to seal the thread, which the water runs down. You can buy a rubber doobrie, "basin mate" for about £1.50 but you only really need those if someone has covered the whole thing in plumbers mate, which will have leaked, and is a pain to clean off.

I'm not keen on plumbers mate. ;)

Sponsored Links
So basically, i presume there isn't any preferred method of making a water tight seal its a case of using your own preferred "gunk" (plumbers mate, silicon etc) to make a seal?

Thanks for your replies anyway.

Andy

LSX is a better option than ordinary silicon because it's moisture-cured.
But if the basin itself is poorly finished (eg. inner and outer flanges not parallel - very common, rough edges, etc) the basin-mate thing is virtually guaranteed to be watertight. But watch out for the REALLY annoying leak past the inner flange, so that the basin mysteriously empties itself with the plug still in. That's where LSX is (IMHO) the best option.

Thanks for your help. Looks like my tool box needs some LSX and some "basin mate seals" which I have just found for £1.20 at toolstation.

Thanks again

Andy

No instructions with the "basin mate".
Thanks for your help guys, off to buy another waste tomorrow to get a new nut! lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back