Vanity and basin seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using a Vanity and Basin seal, consisting of a large rubber washer that is tapered all around with a foam gasket and a plastic cover.

The assembly appears to be to insert waste fitting into top of basin using sealant; silicone or plumbmate.
Push tapered rubber washer underneath on waste up to basin.
push thin foam washer up to gasket.
push plastic washer up to foam gasket
fit waste nut and tighten.

I don't like to use the thin foam washers or silicone or plumbers mate.

The rubber tapered washer is not threaded, just internally ribbed and so, when fitted onto the threaded portion of a waste, water could find its way via the tread helter skelter bypassing the rubber gasket unless the threads at the top of the waste are coated with silicone or plumbers waste; seems a lot of work for a simple waste installation.

Question: has anyone made any sort of rubber washer to be used to seal under the top of the waste metal rim into the basin rather than having to wipe off silicone or plumbers mate, surely someone has designed a more water tight and efficient method of sealing at the top of a waste.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Unless it has a nice rubber gasket that sits underneath the shoulder of the waste that sits on the inside of the basin that seals it up then it needs a bead of silicone.
Even then I'd still use a little just to be sure it's watertight as the taper of the basin outlet may be more than the taper of the waste.

As far as the underside is concerned, depending on whether it's a slotted waste or not I'd be inclined to use a little silicone there too. Usually the compression of the nut is enough for the tapered rubber seal and washers to be compressed against the threads of the waste sealing it up but a bead of silicone wouldn't hurt, it's always better to be safe rather than having to pull it all off when it leaks IMO.

They never leaked with plumbers mait top and bottom and no washers but silicone will do it.

Sounds a bit like a basin mate washer.

The foam washer goes on the waste fitting
Put into basin
Cone washer up underneath
Should be a plastic retainer stops cone distorting
Then backnut

If it's not a basin mate get one never had one leak

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back