Is this a 'Basin Mate' - with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been advised from a member on here to buy a basin mate as I have a leaking waste from my bathroom sink. Was in B&Q and saw this:-

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

Described as a Basin and Vanity sealer, but as you can see, the white finger grip is not attached to the rubber dome washer. Also has a foam gasket of some description.

Is this meant to replace the black plastic nut which came with the basin waste (the one now in 5 pieces, as it broke when taking it off)!!!!!

TIA

Not sure if this is the correct size as it is very difficult getting the rubber washer over the thread of the waste. It does look very similar to the actual 'basin mate' listed on toolstations website, altough the white finger grip looks meatier on the toolstation one.

Sponsored Links
See faq26 !
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15[/QUOTE]

I have seen the FAQ. How are you suppose to tighten the basin mate given the finger grip is not connected to the domed washer. The dome piece is threaded but it's very difficult to wind up the thread of the waste even when both pieces are in my hand. God knows how I will be able to do it under the sink.

Does this replace the plastic nut which comes with the waste then?

Sponsored Links
The foam washer goes topside, under the flange of the waste inside the bowl.
The Basin Mate goes between the original bottom nut and the basin. It squashes quite a lot. I didn't think the BM was threaded, just ribbed. Yes it's a tight fit.
Surely there are instructions??!

You will need a new nut, lubricate the inside of the basin mate with a little washing up liquid (I'll get shouted at for that,). Use the thin white seal on the inside of the basin, shove and twist the lubricated cone thingy onto the waste as far as you can, tapered end first. Then the white nit that's left over and your new nut to tighten it all up.

I really will have to learn to use more than one finger for this typing lark. :cry:

The only problem I get with these is using them with a pop up waste is awkward cos the basin mate is so wide when tightened it fouls on the waste system but on normal wastes I use them all the time and they never leak, and they do come with instructions. :)

Mine from B&Q didn't come with any instructions.

Do I need to remove all the old silicone before I fit the 'basin mate', so the waste area is total clean. Does this basin mate negate the use of any silicone?

Scraped off all the old sealant.

Should I put a thin layer of sealant or just use the foam washer?

Just use the foam washer. No sealant needed.

Did just that - the best £1.08 I have spent. Have just done the plastic nut finger tight and not a single drop is leaking!

Thanks again to all that replied for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back