Basin Mate / Plumbers Mait.

I don't understand your last post spareshunter, you seem to be agreeing with the way I said but disagreeing with the way tomplum does it.
I've just watched his vid and what I said and what he does are exactly the same.
The main thing is, will it leak? cos it's a pain in the arze to have to do again, and the way he's done it will never leak, like he said.

Sponsored Links
Unlike Tom I'd only use a Plastic washer. The rubber ones tend to squeeze out when you tighten the back nut. But apart from that, it's the way I've done it for the last 30 years.

To be honest, he has made a meal of an apprentices job on day 1!

I don't understand your last post spareshunter, you seem to be agreeing with the way I said but disagreeing with the way tomplum does it.
I've just watched his vid and what I said and what he does are exactly the same.
The main thing is, will it leak? cos it's a pain in the arze to have to do again, and the way he's done it will never leak, like he said.

C'mon la, he's just talking a load of sh.te, there's no other way to put it.
Now you go back to your White Lightening & Special Lager & dont worry about that rsole.

Sponsored Links
Sooey wrote:

This is your post sooey:
You often find the angle of the flange on the slotted waste doesn't match the angle of the waste hole in the basin, so it only fits where it touches. I prefer plumbers mate to fill the gap.
The last sentence is I prefer to use "plumbers mate". so I agreed with you.

Watch tom plumb and he was using a combination of plumbers mate AND silicone..one of three ways and as he says this way is the best ("disagree")... so I agreed with your statement of plumbers mate if you use it throughout ??? If you use silicone and P/M as Tom Plumb then I disagree. :) Note: If that basin, which looks like a small wash hand basin with no pedestal Tom has just smeared silicone all over the base (bad practice) which is notoriously time consuming to remove, not good time wise and custo may call you back to remove it :rolleyes: Another money earner for me inherited from other "plumbers":D

LeeC wrote:
To be honest, he has made a meal of an apprentices job on day 1!
Not very constructive to be honest as I don't always have an apprentice who knows how to do a simple job properly with me all the time....so I must know how to it to reduce chance of leakage at all times. :unsure:

Richardthe3rd I'm afraid has got to that grumpy plumbers age when he knows all encompassing things of plumbing because he has experience from days of yore and no-one else has so he thinks ???????????????? Also I feel that no one should be subject to insulting guttural language to prove a point. Here are two: "he's just talking a load of sh.te" + " don't worry about that rsole. :rolleyes:

+ statement: regarding Tom plumb:
But never disrespect the craftsmen in our trade, be humble to our insight, knowledge & experience
I take it "our" means YOU and Tom or YOURSELF and Tom. well if you would chuck a basin about as Tom does in that Cavalier fashion with no dust sheet or similar to prevent damage and smear the base with silicone then no I would not respect either of you.

If the original op would like a clarification most probably the most full proof and cost effective way to put a basin waste in please say so. I will do my best to explain it.

Sorry Richard have to go now as I am going to watch the burial of your name sake on Channel 4 at 5.10pm.

If you do a lot of bathrooms , I used to as an apprentice and don't anymore ,I learnt this one the hard way, I actually only used what came in the pack and nearly all the time it leaked , then my mentor shown me the plumber mate/ silicone trick and they never leak , I think the plumbers. Aye makes a better seal inside personally , but as as long as it doesn't leak I suppose, plus my mentor form 16-19 was from Bolton and sounds like Tom Plumb so I trust his accent :LOL:

Yes olie20; chuck out the rubbish supplied.... good advice from your mentor.

Yes you can use P/M and silicone but why use silicone as I said two materials to buy for one job?..... pointless. Now try to use P/M and silicone in a already fixed basin / pedestal, just replacing the chrome waste... not so good is it. In fact its a mess. Partially ceramic surround pedestals impossible.

So one material does all (P/M) basin wastes only mind at this stage, plus a rigid plastic washer to replace the lead one made in days of yore. Very few leaks if at all and can easily be redone. Not with silly-cone after being tightened up, redoing that is a nightmare. Also a complete doodle with home made bent long nose pliers to stop the whole waste spinning. But Richard and Lee know these tips being well known apprentice stuff of many moons ago, and from days of yore. :)

Yes olie20; chuck out the rubbish supplied.... good advice from your mentor.

Yes you can use P/M and silicone but why use silicone as I said two materials to buy for one job?..... pointless. Now try to use P/M and silicone in a already fixed basin / pedestal, just replacing the chrome waste... not so good is it. In fact its a mess. Partially ceramic surround pedestals impossible.

So one material does all (P/M) basin wastes only mind at this stage, plus a rigid plastic washer to replace the lead one made in days of yore. Very few leaks if at all and can easily be redone. Not with silly-cone after being tightened up, redoing that is a nightmare. Also a complete doodle with home made bent long nose pliers to stop the whole waste spinning. But Richard and Lee know these tips being well known apprentice stuff of many moons ago, and from days of yore. :)

But spareshitter the Plumbers Mait will not seal the threads below the back nut, as our scouser chum has pointed out. Do you difficulties with comprehension??

Oh c'mon now sonny, no need to insult Tom & I, when we clearly know better than you.

Can I suggest you return to your washer changing duties without delay?? And you leave the real Plumber work to the men.

Richard wrote:
Mait will not seal the threads below the back nut, as our scouser chum has pointed out.
You don't have to seal the thread below the back nut that's for sure, you have to seal the space above it remember the putty days you mentioned no silicone then and the job was fine, plumbers Mate has taken over from that thank goodness. If you need a lesson on applying Plumbers Mate correctly I can oblige, you are never to old to learn.

If you consider paying for a tube of good quality silicone example: Dow Corning 785 £ 4.79 to fix one waste then you or your firm have money to burn. I use one product, one fix and lasts even in an open pot indefinitely. :D

Oh c'mon now sonny, no need to insult Tom & I, when we clearly know better than you.
I am not insulting you or Tom, I am questioning your expertise and you don't like it. At least Tom recognises there are three ways to do this job, as for yourself ???? :rolleyes:

Can I suggest you return to your washer changing duties without delay??
You have know idea of what I do now or what I have done in the past, so that is really a childish (playground) comment.
:rolleyes:

And you leave the real Plumber work to the men.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Is this still banging on.
Basin mate, less than £1, clean hands and seconds to fit.

No they argue over plumbers mait and silicone!!! Why do it simple when you can use 2tubs of sh1t!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back