Basin Mate / Plumbers Mait.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am fitting a slotted basin waste and have bought a Basin and Vanity Bowl Sealer (aka Basin Mate?) to help. It has a thin white foam washer to go on top side but I'm wondering whether I should use Plumbers Mait instead. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Am fitting a slotted basin waste and have bought a Basin and Vanity Bowl Sealer (aka Basin Mate?) to help. It has a thin white foam washer to go on top side but I'm wondering whether I should use Plumbers Mait instead. Thanks.

Plumbers Mate on the top flange, plastic washer & silicone on the back nut & washer.

Don't use silicone on the top side of the grating as it'll discolour in the basin & turn black - always use Plumbers Mait on the top.

Thanks for that. I saw on a Youtube demo video that if you use a Basin Mate silicone won't be necessary underneath because as the nut tightens the thick rubber cone pushes so deep into position that it creates a seal. Or is it just a good insurance policy to seal it anyway?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, you won't need to silicone underneath if you use a basin mate, but nor would you need a basin mate if you silicone underneath, but put some round the thread where the nut will bite.

You don't need anything other than what comes in the pack.

White foam on the top, black cone shaped rubber underneath, tighten up.

Yeah, you won't need to silicone underneath if you use a basin mate, but nor would you need a basin mate if you silicone underneath, but put some round the thread where the nut will bite.

Good point la. You're clearly down to one bottle of Voddy a day & fairly lucid.

Tomplumb is making hard work of it that's for sure.

Keep using this method and I will be in the repair work for ages. :D

Tomplumb is making hard work of it that's for sure.

Keep using this method and I will be in the repair work for ages. :D

Hard work of it???!!!! You're having a laff fella. You think you know better than guys with decades of experience & knowledge??!! Mate believe me you don't!!!

When I started my time in the early 70s the artisans that I learned my trade from would use putty, paint & a big lead washer. Time moves on & so does our trade, better products & methods evolve. But never disrespect the craftsmen in our trade, be humble to our insight, knowledge & experience.

Richard:
Hard work of it???!!!! You're having a laff fella. You think you know better than guys with decades of experience & knowledge??!! Mate believe me you don't!!!

When I started my time in the early 70s the artisans that I learned my trade from would use putty, paint & a big lead washer. Time moves on & so does our trade, better products & methods evolve. But never disrespect the craftsmen in our trade, be humble to our insight, knowledge & experience.

Well so am I and I made the lead washers as an apprentice with a wooden chisel, hundreds of them and I can make a grommet out of hemp perfect.

Yes I do move on ........... but silicone on a basin as a jointing method is a joint waiting to leak I have remade oodles with people who know no better using this stuff also replaced wastes with peeps who use the washers supplied.

Same as shower wastes when Manu recommended the stuff.

:rolleyes:

Do it right do it once. :) Richard, your plumbing expertise in experimenting should tell you this and silicone in this situation is not it. Sorry to say.

Use Tom's method & It'll ast as long as the life of the basin. Never known one to leak. Good quality silicone is the product of choice as stated by many.

You don't need anything other than what comes in the pack.

White foam on the top, black cone shaped rubber underneath, tighten up.
You often find the angle of the flange on the slotted waste doesn't match the angle of the waste hole in the basin, so it only fits where it touches. I prefer plumbers mate to fill the gap.

Sooey has thought the problem through and knows the most successful way. All pottery is made 1/3rd larger than the finished product before firing, the two faces are rarely symmetrical to each other on contracting :) Plus using silicone for a one off is wa£tefull it goes off, also two products to do the one job when one will do. Use one product for all and every waste that wont go off...... almost for ever & ever. :)

Again Tom Plumb is making hard work of it. Also he should throw away the rubber washer he uses that was supplied with the waste, it sugests that he knows nothing about why washers are made of different materials.

I have always used silicon and never had one leak but the foam washer always goes straight in the rubble sack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back