Sealing replacement basin waste - silicone residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a new waste to a basin after removing an old one that was fitted (poorly) with silicone. I removed all lumpy bits of silicone and most of the the finer bits with silicone remover, but there is still some silicone bits left that I can't get out.
What are my best options for getting the new (slotted) waste watertight? I bought a basin mate kit as well as plumbers mait (and got a big washer for it), and got sanitary silicone as well.
Or to put it differently, what is better when the basin hole is a bit uneven?
P.S.: Accessing the backnut is a bit difficult.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Have never used plumber mate, horrible stuff IMO, sticks to everything.

How I fit .... Nothing needed on the inside of the basin, just the thin washer ... centre the waste, fill the gap between the shank and the basin and a little down onto the shoulder, hold the waste centered and fit the washer and nut (aligning the slot), and tighten by hand then one full turn with adjustable piers, run finger around to tidy up extruded silicone, use what's on your finger to run around the bottom of the nut at the threads.

Lots of different techniques. I still wonder which one is best when replacing something that was siliconed in.

Lots of different techniques. I still wonder which one is best when replacing something that was siliconed in.
Whichever is preferred.

If the previous one was siliconed/mated/othered in then all the previous material should be removed, so in essence you would be starting with a new basin surface.

Thanks basin mate was on my original list anyway.

I just installed it with basin mate and extra silicone as Madrab described. Will wait until tomorrow morning for testing.

Turns out it's weeping! When closed, it holds water in the basin, so at the top it's tight. But when the waste is open, it weeps around the backnut.
Thinking about it, I might have put too little silicone around the threads where the conical washer ended up, though the basin mate guidelines claim no silicone was needed.

Removal of existing silicone is 1 of the reasons I use mait.
Another is that you can test the basin immediately after fitting.
(y)

Yes, I fit and test them straight away, I don't want to wait for a customer to call me 24hrs later to let me know there is a leak.

Any work I carry out is shown, explained and tested in front of the customer before leaving site.

Andy

If using a basin mate then it needs to be tightened enough to be squeezed up into the gap around the shank of the waste, doing that should press it into the threads sealing them up. Normally shouldn't need anything else when using a mate.

+2 with the testing once it's all together, if it's going to leak it'll leak then.

Thanks all. I removed the silicone around the bottom of the basin mate washer and managed to tighten the backnut a tiny bit more (1/6th turn perhaps). Now it looks like this and the waste seems to be water tight.
For piece of mind is there anywhere I should add some extra silicone below the basin mate?

And I discovered that most of the leakage was from the U bend of the waste pipe I screwed on poorly... At least that is more straightforward to re-do (or so I thought)...

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_162651.jpg
    IMG_20220425_162651.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 44

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back