How to seal Basin Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pop up waste in my porcelain hand basin has recently decided to leak.

The water leaks between the chrome pop up waste and the bowl and runs away down the drain.
When I installed it over 12 years ago I am sure I used Plumbers Mate to bed it in with a large rubber O ring underneath the basin. unfortunately there is not a lot of surface area contact between the waste and the basin and cleaning fluids and constant pressure has probably forced any sealant out.
How do you professionals install wastes in hand basins? Do they come with a rubber/silicon washer or perhaps an O ring now? Do you use Plumbers Mate or perhaps sanitary silicon?
I would be interested in hearing before I remove it and undertake a repair

Sponsored Links
I used the washer but if your basin is irregular in shape silicone might be better.

Sponsored Links
I always throw away foam washer that sits top side of the sink waste.
Because it always makes the chrome waste proud of the sink surface... I like it flush so no dirt and scum builds up.
Sometimes I don't even silicone the top edge but I always silicone around the base of sink where chrome pops through sink , put rubber washer on then I tighten up back nut, never get a leak that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back