Basin waste plumbers mait

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am having trouble with the basin waste, have now got it to seal 4 times with plumbers mait, used a rigid clear washer under the large backing and a 1cm round sausage of plumbers mate between that and basin. Tightened up and removed excess, done up to what I think is tight enough, no leaks for approx 2 weeks and then leaks down threads or out of washer side. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Victor

Sponsored Links
Plastic backnut? If so this may have a small crack in it.

There should be a rubber washer between the underside of basin and the nut ,not a rigid washer ?

Sponsored Links
I might pick up a basin mate tomorrow but was hoping to get it sorted with plumbers mate as it should work.

Terryplumb the washer does flex its just more rigid than the rubber one that came with it which when tightened up with plumbersmait would slip after a couple of days and leak.

You must fit the rubber washer . If using plumbers mait pack it into the gap in between the threaded waste and the basin outlet ,and push it into the actual thread as well. The hard plastic washer is a slip washer and goes in between the rubber washer and the nut.

Thanks terry plumb will do that, think I may not of pushed into thread enough before. I've really pushed it into thread this time, don't want to give up on the plumbers mait as I know others use this method to good effect and its easier to replace waste than one put in with silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back