Belfast sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Trying to replace a leaky waste in a belfast sink. I have the right waste (1.5" slotted).

Fitted as follows:
Sausage of plumber's mait around the plughole.
PTFE tape around thread where nut will be.
Drop the waste in.
Sausage of plumber's mait onto top of nylon washer.
Washer up against the bottom of the well.
Metal nut onto end of waste and tighten.

It leaks like a sieve between the base of the well and the metal nut, even under practically no pressure (just the water in the well around the waste) Loose, tight, doesn't seem to matter.

I have searched on here and found some entertaining arguments and some information. Is it really a case of smothering the bottom in silicone sealant? Seems a bit slapdash - the thing ought to seal properly, surely? I can't help thinking there is a better way.

Does the plumber's mait take time to seal? Nothing on the packet indicates this, but it seems just about useless.

What am I missing?

Waste didn't come with any washers - just the plug, waste and metal nut. Bought a pack of nylon washers at the same time.

Thanks in advance!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
Before You put the washer on, work p/mate into the top of the waste outlet thread, put washer back on and tighten nut.
Make sure the waste is bedded evenly into p/mate in basin.

or don't use crappy p/mate in the first place it's fooking useless just use sealant to bed the waste on & around the face of the nut then smooth off

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Forgot to say that I did use PTFE tape on the thread, and that's not where the leak is. Edited my post above for clarity.

So that leaves silicone sealant on the washer. I'll give that a try, thanks.

The REAL way to do it is to wrap the washer with hemp - teased out and wrapped from inside hole to O.D of washer ( I would have cut a lead one ;) ) then cover that with silicone ( would be Boss White on my pucca lead one ) 19th Century sinks need 19th Century methods ;)

Done it!

Problem was not as I initially thought: it was leaking between the metal nut and the nylon washer. Disassembled, added a sausage of putty between the nut and washer and now it's dry as a bone.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure how that ever would have been expected not to leak. I wonder whether the waste should have come with a rubber washer which might have sealed better against the metal.

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back