Bathroom tap not always shutting tightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old-style bathroom tap (compression I think - the type with a spindle and washers), that doesn't always shut tightly, which is causing a drip/leak.

It's difficult to put into words, but when turning it off, there is still some movement after the water 'appears' to have stopped. I say 'appears' because what is happening is people are turning the tap off to what they think is off, but a tiny, barely noticeable trickle of water is still running down the spout, that eventually gathers where the bottom of the tap comes out of the sink, and then leaks through onto the floor (and sometimes eventually to our living room ceiling :mad:).

The tap is old (could be up to 20 years if as old as the house) - and has never had any maintenance done on it in the past 7 years we've had the house.

Before I turn off the water and take it apart, its it likely to be just the washer needing replacing, or something else?

EDIT: Just to add - When I turn it off it turns off properly, i.e. it can be turned off, it's just that it needs to be done tightly/further than when the water appears to stop coming out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah chances are it'll be a washer if it's a turn down tap. Bit of silicone grease and service the whole valve and you'll notice the difference.

I don't have silicone grease. Is it worth a trip out to get some? And where is it going (under and on top of the new washer?)?

Also what's involved in servicing the whole valve?

You strip the valve down and in the centre there is a large brass screw and thread, clean that out and some grease goes in there. Or just buy a set of tap revivers and replace the old ones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Whilst I think tap revivers might be easier, unfortunately the spouts are quite tarnished meaning new shiny tops would really stand out!

Any hints for if things (e.g. the screw) are stuck fast. I'm not saying it is, but just anticipating it given it's age.

YouTube has loads of videos on this particular task. Suggest you watch a few.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back