Bathroom tile coming off on suspended floor

I have seen a number of above ground floor bathrooms laid with large tiles, new build and older houses. Are you saying that all of these are going to come off sooner or later?
Maybe, maybe not. Anything can be done, even when you choose the worst possible combination of factors to start with. The possibility for failure is just greater, that's all. The larger the tile, the less flexibility the surface has and therefore the greater the chances of cracking. That's why ancient Roman mosaics last for centuries but the pavement outside your house looks like broken sea ice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use any size floor tile you wish.
Just so long as the prep is adequate and all prep factors have been taken into account you are good to go.

Use any size floor tile you wish.
Just so long as the prep is adequate and all prep factors have been taken into account you are good to go.

Can you add a few points for adequate preparation please? Say 300x600 tiles.

Just so that I know the next guy knows how to do his job when he explains the spec :)

Sponsored Links
A few years ago I had the same problem. It became clear that the sub floor wasn't adequate for tiling. Has only been corrected this year as part of a larger project. In my case, extra noggins were needed to strengthen the suspended timber floor weakened through some poor plumbing cutting chunks out of the floor joists. Thicker WBP plyboard screwed down every 6 inches across the entire surface was required. With the plyboard edges meeting adjacent sheets over the floor joists. Floor is stable now and can be tiled over with no movement that caused the original grout to crack and porcelain tiles to crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back