Tiling concrete/suspended timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope somebody can give me some advice.

I am going to tile our kitchen floor in April (normal porcelain tiles). The floor is half concrete and half suspended timber (the surface of the suspended floor is 22mm large floor panels).

I can see the suspended floor is not stable (it moves slightly when you walk on it) where it meets the concrete floor.

My plan was to cover the entire area with no more ply and then ditra matting. Do you think this would work? Or should I just use the ditra mat on its own?

Would this adhesive be OK for the job (for both the no more ply and the ditra mat)? http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-rapid-set-adhesive-grey-20-0kg/29634

I hope this makes sense, many thanks in advance!

Scott

Sponsored Links
You must make the floor stable. No bounce at all. Go under and have a look if you can or lift boards and examine the joists where they are supported in the walls. Look for decay or loose movement. Examine the whole floor and screw down any loose boards. Search for signs of damp.

Just use the matting. At the join of solid and suspended floors use metal mesh under the Ditra. Rolls Royce practice is to have a movement joint at the join but that might need a pro tiler. Are the floors level with each other?

That expensive adhesive will work. Do you need quick setting adhesive.

Have you taken the raised floor level into account for base units, appliances and doors?

Hi Vinn, many thanks for your reply.

The joists look fairly new, BUT they are just sitting on bricks/slate with no supports. I suspect this was a bodge job done a few years ago before we got the house.

I am ripping out the kitchen/doors (everything) so height will not be a problem, the floors are level with each other.

I am thinking about taking the floor up to be honest and adding support.

Do you recommend a cheap/easy to use adhesive? I don't need quick setting.

As you can probably guess, I am doing it all myself and this is the first renovation project I have done so am making it up as I go along (with a very limited time/budget)!

Thanks for the advice about just using matting, saved me a lot!

Really appreciate your help.

Scott

Pics of the joists and the 22m large floor panels would be useful.
You cant have any movement under a tiled floor.
Just use whatever is cheap adhesive around your way. Dont use premixed mastic only powder.

Sponsored Links
Hi Vinn

Looking at the floor more closely it looks like it really needs replacing, some of the joists are rotten.

This way I can secure all the joists etc and hopefully have a stable surface to tile to.

Lots of hard work to do after the easter holidays!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back