Tiling suspended wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -- thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I've ripped out the bathroom at my new place; it was in a wretched state, with tiles coming off, water damage everywhere, and a disgusting thin lino floor laid down directly on top of floorboards.

I want to tile the floor once I've fixed the plumbing. My question is: should I pull out the existing floorboards and fix plywood directly onto the joists (then ditra mat or equivalent), or should I repair the floorboards where necessary, fix plywood on top of them, then add the ditra mat and tile?

-- And, if you advise keeping the floorboards, what thickness ply should I use?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If replacing with ply then 22-25mm ply, it’s also important to choose good quality tile , some types are so weak that even tiny movement in floor can cause hairline cracking .

Ok, cheers - so do you reckon it would be best to have the floorboards out altogether and replace with 22/25 ply? Or would keeping the boards minimise any movement?

Sponsored Links
Why not replace the ply with something better such as Jackoboard, Wedi or Hardiebacker? Pays dividends in the long run as wood + moisture = no fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back