bathroom/toilet extractor fan set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi newbee looking for some advise. Have a single extractor fan working adjacent bathroom and toilet. previous owners have the wiring set up so that both lights and fan come on when either bathroom or toilet pull switch is operated. Is there a simple way to get either switch to operate the extractor. I had considered buying another extractor or is there a neater solution thanks ':)'

Sponsored Links
yes there is, you dissconect the feeds from the switch to the fan.

but with out seeing it i cant tell you much more.

can you look at its wires and say which wire goes to what

The fan is directly powered from the ceiling rose ;-( via 3 core & earth cable Red, Blue, Yellow & Earth. Red from loop in (L), Yellow from lamp switch side(Ls), Blue from Neutral side of lamp (N).
Bathroom pull switch has no wires to fan. Toilet switch has single brown wire ( 2 core flex) from Ls to a connector strip in loft space. Once I'd unwrapped twenty meters of insulation tape from it I saw that it has 4 terminals. Connections are from bathroom 3 core & earth to fan motor. Fan motor wiring is Brown, Yellow/Green and Blue. Connections are Red > Brown, Yellow > Yellow/Green, Blue > Blue, bare earth wire unconnected, Brown wire from Toilet pull switch Ls connected to Red on terminal block. I whole it's a mess up. I've disconnected the brown wire from the toilet switch so that now the lights work independently. Obvious actions are to replace the connector strip with a junction box. What do I need to do to make this arrangement work safely?

Sorry I'm lost......

You have 2 rooms (bathroom & toilet) seperate from each other with 1 fan?

If this is the case..I can see that the fan can only be controlled by 2x 2way switches...and then you need another 2 switches for your lights otherwise your looking at installing relays.......it something I've never come across before.....I know why the previous owners did it that way.

Sponsored Links
the single fan is in a duct in the loft space, a Y conector branches to the bathroom vent and the other side to the toilet vent. I'd thought of either buying another fan or a motor contactor. Any ideas on what would be the best option?

To be really honest and not to get out of giving advice...put an additional extractor fan in........spark seems a bit clued up more than me (its an age thing :LOL: ) maybe he could offer his skills.

The contactor will work but i think a new fan will be easier....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back