Extractor fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

have moved into a new house and the downstairs toilet has an extractor fan that is switched on when you switch on the light (light pull type). outside the toilet is a fan isolator switch that should enable you to overide the light pull and turn off the extractor i.e. so when the light switch is pulled the extractor doesn't come on (at least thats what you can do on my upstairs ones otherwise whats the point of the isolator??).

Anyway when you turn off the isolator switch for the fan, the light doesn't work either so we can only have both or none on.

Any ideas please - I'm presuming that the isolator/light must have been wired incorrectly?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they have used the fan isolator to supply the light too, this is incorrect as it should only kill the 2 live and the neutral from the light to the fan.

fan1.bmp

is how it should be wired

thanks guys

looking at the fan it has 2 brown wires running to L, 1 Black to N and 1 Blue and 1 grey to LS.

I'm assuming 1 of the browns and the blue are running from the light pull?

looks like i'll have to leave it as is as obviously being ground floor all the wires are run above ceiling and don't really want to pull it all diown just to sort it out, unless any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back