Bathroom Light and Extractor fan on same pull switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a series of bathroom ceiling lights which are controlled on/off via a simple pull cord switch (10A). The extractor fan is also controlled via the same pull switch with no timer, so lights on/off and extractor on/off are together.

I would like to be able to isolate the bathroom fan separate to the lights as it is very noisy on a night or sometimes when you want to have a bath.

The existing lighting circuit is on an old wiring system, and there is no earth present on the pull cord switch housing, just the standard red/black into COM/L1. The extractor appears to come off a junction box from the lighting circuit but I haven't looked at it in detail.

Would it be a real pain in the arse to create a separate switch to isolate the fan? An electrician friend of mine said you could just add another pull cord switch for the fan, but I'm guessing it may be invasive work into the ceiling. For the record, I can't get "above" the ceiling in question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's highly unlikely you could alter the wiring without access to it !!

I can pull the junction box which feeds to the extractor fan through the hole for the ceiling light.

Likewise can pull plenty of cable through from the existing pull switch and have access via four ceiling hole lights, so could trace some cable back to a separate pull switch fairly easily.

What I meant was I can't climb above into a loft like I can for the bedroom lighting circuits.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you may be able to do it without too much hassle. What conductors are present at the JB ?

it is very noisy

I can recommend you a better quality, modern, very quiet fan with a ball-bearing motor and isolating rubber mounts.

Please post a photo of your old fan.

I can recommend you a better quality, modern, very quiet fan with a ball-bearing motor and isolating rubber mounts.

Please post a photo of your old fan.
1662394033410.png

Surely, when bathing, the fan should be running given the steam generated?

In my bathroom, I have a Xpelair fan with a humidistat built in. I am more concerned about moisture than "smells". That said I do have an over-ride switch if things are smelly.

Perhaps you just need a new fan? Some have two voltage settings, on the more quiet setting, less air will be extracted per minute though.

Last edited:
Surely, when bathing, the fan should be running given the steam generated?

In my bathroom, I have a Xpelair fan with a humidistat built in. I am more concerned about moisture than "smells". That aid I do have an over-ride switch if things are smelly.

Perhaps you just need a new fan? Some have two voltage settings, on the more quiet setting, less air will be extracted per minute though.
Presumably, it might me not seeing the forest for the trees, at first a new fan seemed a lot more work, but in hindsight it may be a wiser option.

I think it might be an Xpelair VX100

The Silent 100 range by Envirovent/Soler & Palau is much better

There are timer versions

Prices vary

Presumably, it might me not seeing the forest for the trees, at first a new fan seemed a lot more work, but in hindsight it may be a wiser option.

For what it is worth, this is the fan that I have

It has been been more reliable than my (significantly) more expensive (larger diameter) Icon fan downstairs (which has switching/PIR/humidistat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back