bathroom extractor fan advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya diyers,

We've got an extractor fan in our bathroom in the ceiling that comes on with the light for the bathroom. I'd like to have a separate pull cord for the fan so we don't always have to have it on when the light is on, we only need it for showers.

I've bought a simple pull cord 2way switch and the fan has 3 wires going into it 2 black and 1 red, I can get a photo. If I put the switch on the switched live wire will it stop the light coming on if the pull cord isn't closed?

---swl --> [pullchord] ---> extractor fan

Sponsored Links
So am I right in thinking that the fan currently works on over run, so when the lights are off your fan continues to run for a few minutes ?

Thing is you say you don't want it other than for the shower use, does that mean everyone indoors number 2's smell of roses ?

If you want it to work the way you suggest disconnect the switched live and interupt the permanent live with the pull cord.

Then the fan will only run when you use the pull cord.

Heya chris thanks for your input. I'll try and get a photo, there is a variable resister in the circuit board so it might be on overrun, at the moment it comes on and off straight away when power is connected and disconnected though.

Having read these forums a bit I'm actually doubtful if I'll do anything because of the regs on doing electrics in a bathroom.

g.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back