Kitchen LED lights start to flicker when i isolate the extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the extractor fan in the kitchen. It has a fused isolator switch. When i switched it off to be able to get to the extractor fan safely, the 8 LED ceiling lights start to flicker.

Switch the isolator back on again and flicker stops!

There is no dimmer on the LED lights, just an on/off switch.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? Is it normal?

Could it be related to the fact that the extractor fan may be connected to the lighting circuit and when the isolator is on, even if the extractor fan is off it still draws some current?

Could it be something more sinister?

Help greatly appreciated!

Thank you

G.

Sponsored Links
No its not normal. It could be something very simple (like a loose connection inside the isolator, if the lights are looped in after the isolator then that would be feasable), or it could be something very odd (isolator wrongly wired).
Isolate at CU, unscrew the isolator switchplate, confirm dead with your multimeter and show us the pics

Do you mean they're "on," and they start to flicker "off?"

Or do you mean they're "off" and start to flicker "on?"

Different causes, and different remedies.

Thanks John and OldButNotDead (i like your username)

The isolator just has a single cable and seems it does its job. No reading with the meter when off. I will post picture next

John, LED lights flicker when they are on.

I removed the extractor fan last night
Nothing is connected to the supply. So now LED lights flicker when ON independent of the isolator.

Seems that when there is a load flicker stops....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Picture of extractor fan.

Attachments

• 20200523_074120.jpg
    20200523_074120.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 315
What voltage and size are the LEDs? Can you put an incandescent lamp into one of them?

Usually I'd be thinking a loose connection in a ceiling rose or switch, but the fan effect is odd.

I attach picture of the lights... and drivers...

7w lights
Voltage AC 85 - 265V 50-60 Hz
300mA

Attached to LED driver....i took a picture and it does not look good. Plastic has melted! The other 7 are ok.

Input. LS 85-265 V 50/60 Hz
5-7 x1 W
Output. DC 12-24 V 300ma

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 20200523_083320.jpg
    20200523_083320.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 20200523_083914.jpg
    20200523_083914.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 317
7w lights
Voltage AC 85 - 265V 50-60 Hz
300mA

Why do manufacturers print such misleading rubbish,

300mA = 0.3 Amp

0.3 A x 85 V = 25.5 watt, ( bit more than 7 watt )
0.3 A x 240 V = 72.0 watts

The 300 mA refers to the current that the lamp drives through the LED elements and NOT the current taken from the mains supply.

It does not make sense, lamp is 85 to 265 volt so one would think connected direct to mains, and the 300 mA driver would normally power 4 to 8 LED,s (not lamps the LED chip) in series they don't seem to go together.

Eric

I wonder if the white driver module enclosed inside the lamp housing or attached to the outside as part of the lamp.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Feel like an idiot not realising that led lights should have been connected to mains.

Previous owners set ot up and as soon as we moved in we had lamps flickering. Overheated transformers (no wonder why!) And one blew up!

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back