Bathroom too steamy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with steam in the bathroom?

We are about to have it decorated. Its small with a tiny wiindow for light
( facing on to a brick wall) . One plumber suggested an air brick in the wall over the shower. Is there such a thing as a
small extractor thingy that can be fitted in the wall that will take out steam as well? :?:

Sponsored Links
You need an extractor fan.

For reasons of electrical safety (and the complicated regulations resulting) it is better not to have it directly above a bath or shower (unless your ceilings are 3metres or higher).

A 105mm hole can be drilled through the wall using a core drill which can easily be hired (or your plumber will probably own one).

In my view they are best run off the bathroom light so that no conscious decision is needed to turn them on. As you have a small window people will probably get in the habit of turning the light on when they enter.

Part P applies (see Wiki) so in my view it is simplest to have the electrical installation done by an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme.

JohnD said:
For reasons of electrical safety (and the complicated regulations resulting) it is better not to have it directly above a bath or shower (unless your ceilings are 3metres or higher).
Oh dear :oops: my shower fan is 2.2m since 1983, does it's really matter, if so, may have to use a 12v type fan?

So is mine :LOL: so Not To Current Standards but I suppose any new one would have to conform to zones. At least it isn't over the shower so not likely to be squirted.

edited: here we are: http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

I suppose being an RCBO enthusiast I could fit one, but zone 2 would be so much easier!

Sponsored Links
Makes: I have used well-known brands Expelair/Vent-Axia/Dimplex (tend to be quite expensive but good) and Aidelle (which are nothing special) but now in my own house i just use a cheap thing at £5-£10 and chuck it away when it gets noisy or worn-out after a few years. You can get Centrifugal fans which are more powerful and quieter than the equivalent Axial fan (and bigger).

An RCBO protects a single circuit, and is a combined Circuit Breaker (for overcurrent and short-circuit protection) and RCD (for earth leakage protection). They can be a bit expensive and need to be fitted and tested by a competent person. In my opinion they are very convenient and give ideal protection. Mine are all on socket Ring Final circuits, it would be unusual and expensive to put one on a lighting circuit for a bathroom fan. The relevance is that for electrical work which was not installed in with the Zones in mind (see earlier link) it can be necessary to go to additional trouble and expense. So if you have your fan in zone 2 or higher it will be easier and less expensive to make it safe. Sorry, we were rambling off-topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back